Chapter 24

-Arisa POV-

"Well, time to begin our mission to save Chrome" said Senku. "The mission objectives are simple. First, we break down Chrome's bamboo prison with the powered-up Steam Gorilla. Then we run. That is all"
"It's so simple" said Suika.

"Well, if they found out it'd give them a chance to prepare" said Gen. "The Steam Gorilla's a one-time-use disposable"
"Unlike other people, Senku has no trouble letting go of things" I said.
"We can't trash our adorable Steam Gorilla!" cried Kaseki.

"We don't have much time, though" said Kohaku. "This is Chrome we're talking about. At some point, he's going to run his mouth"
"If he hasn't already" I said.
"Yeah, I bet" said Senku. "Let's get ready to set out immediately"

-Ukyo POV-

"Senku would never abandon one of his own" said Tsukasa, he had gathered me, Hyoga, Yo and the journalist Minami in the cave. "He'll undoubtedly use weapons of science to save Chrome. For example, a bombardment by steam engine. That's why we need your strength"

"My strength?" said Yo.
"I know about you. I interviewed you before" said Minami. "You won in the baton category at the police martial arts competition. You're a crazy-strong, crazy police officer"
'Those are a few crazy's...'

"Could I ask you to manage the prison and the traps in its vicinity, Yo?" asked Tsukasa.
'Vehicle traps? Those will kill them!'
"Piece of cake, yo" said Yo. "Woo! Leave it to me, Yo! I'll use the prisoner as bait to take down Senku and all of his baddie buddies!"

~

I walked out of the cave and went to the place where Chrome had set the fire.
I grabbed the thing on the ground.
"A battery?" I was surprised.

I looked up, the wind was nice...
'You're out there, aren't you, Arisa?'

When it was dark, I slipped the battery into Chrome's prison.
If he can escape on his own... Arisa and her friends won't get killed.

~

-Arisa POV-

I saw something moving and I pointed to it for Kohaku.
"It's Chrome!" she said and we ran down.
"You made it out!" I said and helped him walk.

"I saw him" he said. "Ukyo"
"You did?" I whispered. "How... how is he?"
"Strange" he said. "I can't get a read on him. But he did save me"

I smiled and wiped a tear away. "Thank you..."
"Chrome's come home!" said Suika when we reached the camp.
"You escaped by yourself?!" said Kaseki. "Not bad!"

"I'm impressed you figured out where our camp was" said Kohaku.
"Who the hell could figure that out?" said Chrome. "I just went in the direction Suika went after she scouted, and I chose a route that might be visible through a telescope"

"Good job, Great Detective Suika" I smiled.
"But Chrome, how did you break through the bamboo bars?" asked Gen.
"Oh! Check out my awesome science!" said Chrome. "I made that melty chemical using salt water and a battery. Sodium hydroxide, was it?"

"Sodium hydrochlorite" said Senku. "That's what you actually made, Chrome. If you don't have a membrane in the salt water, you discover bleach instead. It's a perfectly useful base. Nothing wrong with using that to melt down the cellulose in the weeds used to make rope. That's a great way to escape from a bamboo prison. Well done. Ten billion points for you"

"Wait, wasn't sodium hydroxide..." said Gen.
"Yeah, meanwhile, we were using an alkaline solution to melt down cellulose for making paper" said Senku.
"So Senku and Chrome happened to come up with the same science" said Kohaku.