Chapter 23

-Arisa POV-

All the tools were ready, and we made the first steam engine.
"Wh-What is this thing?" asked Magma.
"Now we can go save Chrome!" said Suika.

"It's a living iron creature built from nothing" said Kohaku.
"A living creature, huh?" said Gen.
"It's her first time seeing something that moves on its own" I chuckled. "Can't blame her for thinking that"

Senku turned it on, and it began riding.
"This is it! It's finally here!" said Gen. "The Industrial Revolution!"
"Out of the way!" shouted Senku. "It'll run you over!"

"Seriously, you'll get hurt real bad! Everyone stay away!" shouted Gen.
I pulled Ginro a step back, before he got caught by the steam engine...
"Hurt real bad, my ass!" shouted Magma. "All this thing ever does is run. It's no match for my number one power!"

"Look out!" said Ginro.
"Magma and the iron steam engine creature are going to duke it out" said Kohaku. "This'll be interesting"
'He's so going to lose'

And I was right, the steam engine won.
"What are you, mental?" said Senku to Magma. "Why would you think you could stop a steam engine?"
"It's like a living creature" said Ruri.

"Yeah, a creature with incredible strength" said Kinro.
"It's like a gorilla!" said Suika.
"Yeah, even more like one than Kohaku!" said Ginro, but Kohaku hit him hard. "Isn't this Chrome's role? Come back home, Chrome"

"Now we can all go help Chrome" said Kohaku. "Maybe even get Ukyo on our side"
"Yeah" said Senku. "Once the engine's done, the rest of the car won't be hard to build. It's the power beast of science: Steam Gorilla. Well then... this village has been great to me. But it's goodbye for now"

"Senku..." said Kohaku.
"We don't have time to be getting sentimental" he said. "We're throwing all our science gear on board and heading to the Tsukasa Empire, one and all! This is exhilarating"

~

I helped weaving bamboo to make the wheels.
After a few days, the snow was melting, and the car was finally done.
It was getting warmer, we could leave our winter clothing behind.

"I'm confused, but it looks so cool!" said Ginro when the car was done.
"Yeah, I'm confused, but it does look cool" said Kinro, all the boys were excited about the car.
"Sure, it's amazing, and I'm impressed too, but what's with their enthusiasm?" said Kohaku.

"Guess 3700 years isn't enough to make boys stop loving cars so much" I sighed.
"Old Man Kaseki seems really sad" said Suika suddenly.
"We need to hurry up and go free Chrome" said Kaseki. "I can't help but feel sorry for him"

"Tsukasa needs him as a hostage, but it's hard to say how he might be treating him" said Kohaku.
"I'm pretty sure that's not what he meant" I said when I saw Senku joining him.

"He's not here to help us build our awesome automobile" said Kaseki. "That's why I feel sorry for him!"
"It's so sad, the entirety of the United States is going to weep" said Senku. "We need to hurry up and flex the Steam Gorilla at him"

"The science team is pretty awful, huh?" said Gen.
"Try growing up with the guy" I said.
"I feel sorry for you" he said and laid his hand on my shoulder.
"Not believing you for one second" I said.

~

"We're ready to move out whenever!" said Kokuyo. "We're moving out en masse to rescue Chrome!"
"All right" said Senku. "Load up the science tools and the pesky old fats who can't walk fast enough"

The old couple looked at each other and smiled.
"Senku, I don't think we can go" said the old man. "We've thought about it. Even with all the science equipment, we could have just made multiple trips. So why did you build this so-called automobile? You built it for those of us who can't walk long distances. We already know, Senku"