˗ˋ 08

CHAPTER EIGHT

-: fourth year :-

── IN WHICH THE DEATH 
EATERS INVADE

. . .

EVIE WAS EXHAUSTED, in all honesty. It had taken a while for them to descend down the purple-carpeted stairs, and even longer to make their way through the bustling crowd of spectators leaving the stadium. Most were in high spirits, even those who had been supporting Bulgaria.

But of course, none were as happy as the Irish. Raucous singing was could be heard in the night air as they retraced their steps along the lantern-lit path, and leprechauns kept shooting over their heads, cackling and waving their lanterns. When they finally reached the tents, nobody felt like sleeping at all, and given the level of noise around them as people celebrated, Mr Weasley agreed that they could all have one last cup of cocoa together before turning in.

And she sat there in silence, sipping on her hot drink as Ron talked her ear off about how she had been sat besides - and talking - to none other than Aleksander Krum. He had known just how familiar he had looked, but with the dark haired boy unwilling to tell Evie just who he was, that hadn't helped at all and it had eventually been up to Viktor Krum himself, hugging his brother as the blood from his broken nose ran freely, Mediwizards pestering him to fix it with a simple 'episkey'. 

The night of enjoyment came to an end when Ginny fell asleep in her chair, slumping on the table and consequently spilt her hot chocolate everywhere. Mr Weasley had cleaned it up with a wave of his wand and insisted that everyone went to bed, disrupting Ron's chatter and giving Evie an escape, helping Ginny stand up and making their way to their shared tent with Hermione as they turned back and said their goodbyes.

Despite her exhaustion, Evie had a hard time falling asleep, and when she finally did her dreams were short, indecisive and inconclusive; ranging from breakfast at the Burrow to playing Quidditch in the stadium she had been in just a little while before, her main opponent being none other than Aleksander - the Bulgarian winking at her before hitting a bludger into another English chaser. Before returning to the strange, damp house in the nightmare that caused her to feel immensely sick and her scar to burn.

But no matter how contrasting her dreams were, they were shattered just as a fourth short sequence was set to begin, they were distrupted as she was shaken awake by Mr Weasley.

"What's going on?" Evie's eyes blinked hurriedly to adjust to the light of his lamp, pushing herself up to see both Ginny and Hermione in the same tired states.

"Come on - you've got to get up. This is urgent!" Mr Weasley didn't bother explaining, and the Potter girl caught her pair of shoes that Ginny was throwing her, standing up and reaching for her jacket, pulling it over the pink ribbed vest top that served as her pajamas and moving the creamed coloured bottoms to do up the laces. 

Just as she was about to follow Ginny and Hermione out, she was hit by the realisation that in the sudden awakening rush that her wand had fallen out of her pocket, and she hurried to retrieve it, stepping out of the flaps of the tent.

Since the moment she had seen Mr Weasley, a thudding feeling had appeared in her stomach. And it only repeated itself in her heart as the sound of screaming and panic filled her ears, her eyes adjusting to the dark as she looked around.