˗ˋ 09

CHAPTER NINE

-: fourth year :-

── IN WHICH THE
GROUP REUNITE

. . .

TERROR RAN THROUGH THEIR VEINS, despite Aleksander having led Evie away from the stupefied bodies of the Death Eaters before they could wake up. Of course it did, they were absolutely petrified of everything going on, and they could easily be attacked at any time. 

They were walking along through the forest like nothing was happening, as if they weren't keeping their backs hunched and barely even speaking as if it would somehow keep them concealed. And most of all, they were completely ignoring the sounds that came from the campsite, refusing to even glance the way of the fires and the screams, barely even flinching if there was another sound of a tent being set on fire. 

Evie was more surprised that Aleksander had actually stuck with her. They barely knew each other, and he had his brother and bodyguards somewhere around - why would he stay with some fourteen year old that could handle her own. 

Perhaps there was more to it than that. Okay fine, Evie was just embarrassed that she had been so scared in front of him and was so used to doing something as a pair that perhaps she was just trying to prove herself for once.

But no one with any morals at all could leave the company they had found in such times. No matter how much Evie wanted to prove that she could protect herself and defeat some prejudiced idiots who were trying to promote the darkest wizard's message on her own account, she was so grateful that it had been Aleksander and not anyone else. 

Aleksander was equally as grateful. He had always assumed that his parents that were trying to restrict his freedom (and they were when it came to being in Sofia and anywhere other than school and their home near a Boyana neighbourhood at the foot of Vitosha mountain), but as it turned out, the world wasn't as safe as he assumed it to be.

But how was he supposed to predict that some deranged followers of a supposedly long-dead dark wizard would come out of the cracks at the final of the Quidditch World Cup? As well as all that, he attended Durmstrang off all place - which was filled with dark magic - but nothing as bad as what he was forced to experience on the moors. 

"Aleksander, what do you think you're doing?" The Bulgarian boy could've sworn in shock, Evie physically jumping beside him before their gazes turned to a boy with a shock of platinum blonde hair - some of which was uncharacteristically out of place. 

"Malfoy. Suppose you're on the lookout for your father, are you?" Evie recovered quickly and pulled herself up to her full height, crossing her arms over her chest before Aleksander could speak. "He does look rather busy, doesn't he?"

She looked pointedly over at the crowd of pointed dark hats. "He is in there, isn't he? Doesn't take a genius to figure out, does it?" Evie continued. Aleksander paused, admiring her confidence at it for a moment, before turning to a disgruntled Draco. 

"It's most unbecoming to talk of things you have no idea about, Potter." Malfoy replied, before casting his gaze away before turning to Aleksander. "Krum, we didn't see you after the match, Mother was wondering where you and Viktor ran off to." 

"My mother and father may be friends of your parents, but I don't believe I've ever taken to you Malfoy. Durmstrang might have welcomed Dark Arts long ago, but that doesn't mean I have the same beliefs system as you." Aleksander shook his head. "Whatever you're trying to do won't work, I'm helping Evie find her brother and friends."