burn

ERITH JAY
ERITH FELT SURPRISINGLY calm for such a fatal situation.

She was ready to go down fighting. They didn't stand a chance; who cared? 

Well, all of her friends, apparently.

Jason's face twisted between despair, anguish, anger, contemplation, and then back to anguish in about five seconds. Piper stood there with her dagger lower than her waist, staring. Leo's hands were shaking so badly he could barely hold his hammer.

So much for an ultra-powerful team. They were toast. Raw meat. However the wolves liked it.

Okay, this was all a front. Erith was more terrified than she'd ever felt. She wanted to get Thalia out of here and unfreeze her. She wanted to yell at her friends to run.

But they couldn't run. And she could, but she wouldn't abandon them. Not now. Not this deep in.

She took a deep breath, but she was just inhaling cold air that burned her lungs. Khione smiled, her dark eyes glittering, as a dagger of ice grew in her hand.

"What've you done?" Jason demanded, looking at her. His eyes blazed with fury.

"Oh, so many things," the snow goddess purred. "Your sister's not dead, if that's what you mean. She and her Hunters will make fine toys for our wolves. I thought we'd defrost them one at a time and hunt them down for amusement. Let them be the prey for once."

The wolves snarled appreciatively. "Yes, my dears," Khione coaxed them. She kept her dark eyes on Jason.

"Oh, how clever of you," Erith remarked, her voice biting. 

Khione raised her eyebrows. "Sunshine girl, if you know what's good for you, keep quiet. I've heard Apollo doesn't like ice. I don't think his kids would, either." She held up a finger and mini swirling snowstorm appeared. After a few seconds, she dropped her hand and it disappeared. Her eyes never left Jason as she spoke. "Your sister almost killed their king, you know. Lycaon's off in a cave somewhere, no doubt licking his wounds, but his minions have joined us to take revenge for their master. And soon Porphyrion will arise, and we shall rule the world."

"Traitor!" Hera shouted. "You meddlesome, D-list goddess! You aren't worthy to pour my wine, much less rule the world."

Khione sighed. "Tiresome as ever, Queen Hera. I've been wanting to shut you up for millennia."

Khione waved her hand, and ice encased the prison, sealing in the spaces between the earthen tendrils. For once, Erith agreed with the snow goddess, but since she hated her so much right now, she decided she wanted Hera freed.

"That's better," Khione said. "Now, demigods, about your death―"

"You're the one who tricked Hera into coming here," Jason said, his voice a snarl. "You gave Zeus the idea of closing Olympus."

Erith hadn't thought of this, but now, hearing it and knowing it was true, she felt cold chill her bones, and it was more than just what was outside.

The wolves snarled at Jason, and the storm spirits whinnied, ready to attack, but Khione held up her hand. "Patience, my loves. The sun is setting, and time is on our side. Of course, Jason Grace. Like snow, my voice is quiet and gentle, and very cold. It's easy for me to whisper to the other gods, especially when I am only confirming their own deepest fears. I also whispered in Aeolus's ear that he should issue an order to kill demigods. It is a small service for Gaea, but I'm sure I will be well rewarded when her sons the giants come to power."