bob's broomerang

ERITH JAY
PERCY
took a half step back, eyes bright with alarm. His fingers twitched.

Kelli touched her own sternum, an almost sensual gesture. "What's the matter? No blondie to save you? What happened to the poor girl? I really wish I could've killed her, too."

Erith moved so she was shoulder to shoulder with Percy. Her sword felt heavy in her hand. Neither of them were in any shape to fight. They were hopelessly outnumbered. There was no help coming, and there was nowhere to run.

That left two options: charge recklessly into battle, and bet on hope, or Annabeth's favorite tactic: talk.

"So..." Percy started, "I guess you're wondering what we're doing in Tartarus."

Kelli snickered. "Not really. I just want to kill you."

"That's nice," Erith said. "Also unfortunate, because I guess you'll never know who I am."

Kelli sneered. "You're a demigod, I can tell that much. I'll deal with Percy, and then we can talk."

That would've been it, but Percy was quicker than her. "You know, you guys are so done. Killing us won't do anything except give Kelli more power over you. You really think we're a threat? We're two demigods in Tartarus that can barely hold our weapons. We'll die anyway. You guys are just gonna let Kelli claw us to death? What next, let her lead you to certain doom? She has no idea what she's doing."

The other empousai muttered and shifted uneasily. Erith felt a small spark of hope. Percy was playing on their insecurities, using their own emotions against them.

If Erith could do the same...

"Enough!" Kelli's fingernails grew into long black talons. She glared at Percy as if imagining him sliced into small pieces.

"You know," Erith started before Kelli could shred Percy, "I talk to Luke all the time. Didn't you try to manipulate him? That sucks, since he sacrificed himself to kill Kronos and win the war for our side. Must be a sore spot for you, huh? Always rejected." Now she turned to the other empousai. "Do you guys really want some sore loser leading you? She's just bitter."

"The girl lies," Kelli spat. "Talk to Luke? You said it yourself! He's dead!"

Erith forced herself to smile tightly. "You know I'm a demigod, but you don't know what kind of demigod. There are ways to talk to the dead, cheerleader."

Kelli's face darkened, but she looked more wary, as did the other empousai. Still she wouldn't give up that easily. "So the Titans lost," she admitted. "Fine! That was part of the plan to wake Gaea! Now the Earth Mother and her giants will destroy the mortal world, and we will totally feast on demigods!"

The other vampires gnashed their teeth in a frenzy of excitement. Erith felt a fresh surge of adrenaline pump through her bloodstream. Control yourself, she thought.

Erith felt Percy's body tensing next to her. No. She had to continue this conversation. There was no way they could fight. She was sure of that now.

"I-I'm sure your plan with Gaea is very wise," Erith said, hating herself for the catch in her voice. If these things couldn't smell fear, they could certainly hear it. "But what has Gaea done so far? Our friend Annabeth got the Athena Parthenos from Arachne. I have personally dispatched multiple giants, as have my friends. The only 'big' move the goddess has done is send two demigods to Tartarus. How will that help her rise?" The empousai stopped frothing at the mouths, but they still didn't look too convinced. "Besides, Kelli was lying about Annabeth Chase being dead. If she was lying about that, what else is she lying about?"