choke

JASPER ELIANO
"WOLVES?"
Reyna asked.

Nico had just finished telling the pair of them the story about what had happened with the flaming ghost. They were eating dinner from the nearby sidewalk cafe that Jasper had gotten coffee at that morning. When Nico had arrived back, nothing had changed aside from the fact that Reyna was healed and awake, which relieved Jasper to no end.

They had agreed, through a mutual understanding of each other, not to talk about the kiss. They were both Romans, and they had more important things to think about than romance, especially now. 

Still, the memory lingered, and the feel of Reyna's fingers brushing his whenever he moved his hand didn't help his concentration.

They ordered a box of pastries to go and headed back to camp. As the three of them sat on the lawn to eat, Jasper couldn't help but marvel at Reyna. When they had arrived here, she was sickly and pale and a shaky thing. Now, she was alert and rested, her eyes bright and watchful, her body coiled like a spring, her gaze ever leaving Nico's face as he finished describing his dreams and his visit with the ghost. Jasper could tell he was leaving some things hidden, but he knew what emotional turmoil felt like. Him and Reyna were already pushing the son of Hades enough physically on this quest without having to tear at his emotions.

When Nico mentioned Orion and the wolves that were supposedly on their way, Reyna frowned. "Most wolves are friendly to Romans. I've never heard stories about Orion hunting with a pack.

Nico eyed the plate of pastries. "It could have been a figure of speech: very little time before the wolves arrive. Perhaps Hades didn't literally mean wolves. At any rate, we should leave as soon as it's dark enough for shadows."

"On that, we agree," Jasper said pleasantly as he plucked a sugar-dusted pastry from the plate and took a bite. "I will miss the food, though. Rey, you missed the coffee I had this morning. It was spectacular."

She bit down a smile. "The only issue is the fact of the Parthenos." She glanced up at the statue, but Jasper didn't follow her gaze. Every time he looked up at it he felt a sense of dread pool in his stomach.

Nico's gaze seemed far away, as if thinking of something. Reyna must have noticed, too, because she abruptly cleared her throat. "So... will Camp Half-Blood wait for August first, or will they attack?"

"We have to hope they wait," Nico said. "We can't... I can't get the statue back any faster."

The pain in his voice was as bleak as spilled milk. Jasper swallowed, running his tongue over his teeth. "I could try to send doves," he offered plainly. "But I'm not sure it would be a good idea. Camp doesn't know me at all."

Reyna crossed her legs at the ankles, and the iron tips of her combat boots glinted. "There's something else," she said. "I haven't had any luck contacting my sister, Hylla. It makes me uneasy that both the wolves and the Amazons have gone silent. If something has happened on the West Coast... I fear the only hope for either camp lies with us. We must return the statue soon. That means the greatest burden is on you, son of Hades."

"We'll help where we can," Jasper cut in. "But Reyna is, unfortunately, right. You have to do most of the work."

Nico looked mildly parts angry and sick. He set down his own pastry and gazed out at the sky, his fingers fidgeting absentmindedly with his silver skull ring.