love and hate

ERITH JAY
ERITH'S MORNING CONSISTED OF A LOT OF TOILET WATER.

She woke up alone. After quickly dressing, she opened the door to her cabin and immediately her boots were flooded with toilet water.

She found Percy and Piper standing in the hall. She crossed her arms. "Percy, what have I said about dramatics?"

Percy turned to look at her, an expression of great anxiety on his face. "We have never talked about dramatics."

She patted his shoulder. "I say, dramatics are great, unless they are hurting your friends. This―" she pointed at the toilet water at her feet― "is hurting your friends. Specifically, your best friend Erith's fancy new boots."

Percy shrugged. "Seems pretty inconvenient for him." He jabbed a finger over his shoulder, where Leo was running down the hall waving a wrench and yelling.

Erith couldn't help but feel a deep satisfaction. She was a little petty.

Water ran down the gangway. The hull rumbled as more pipes burst and sinks overflowed. Meanwhile, Percy stood there glowering.

"Can I know why Percy suddenly wants to swim in all of the toilet water?" Erith inquired, half-tempted to remove her boots just to spare them the smell.

"I had a dream," Piper explained.

"Fantastic," Erith said. "Don't tell me, I want it to be a surprise." She turned to look at Percy. Judging by the expression on his face, he didn't approve of any of this.

"There's no way you three are going down there alone," he insisted, his green eyes practically glowing in his head.

"We'll be all right," Annabeth told him. "Piper foresaw the three of us going down there, so that's what needs to happen."

Percy glanced at Piper like it was all her fault. "And this Mimas dude? I'm guessing he's a giant?"

"Probably," she said. "Porphyrion called him our brother."

"And a bronze statue surrounded by fire," Percy said. "And those... other things you mentioned. Mackies?"

"Makhai," Piper corrected. "I think the word means battles in Greek, but I don't know how that applies, exactly."

"That's my point!" Percy burst out. "We don't know what's down there. I'm going with you."

"You are not," Erith said calmly, sloshing to the kitchen to pop an Eggo waffle in the toaster. "They call me giant killer for a reason."

"They do not call you giant killer," Percy said.

"Oh, right," Erith corrected, drumming her fingers on the counter next to the toaster. "Those were Titans. Okay, so they call me Titan killer. Difference is?" Percy opened his mouth, but she finished, "Difference is nothing. Thank you, Percy, because I definitely agree." She snatched her waffle in two fingers and took a bite. 

"Erith is right," Annabeth said, putting her hand on Percy's arm. "Besides, if the giants want our blood, the last thing we need is a boy and a girl going down there together. Remember? They want one of each for their big sacrifice."