turmoil

NICO DI ANGELO
OVER THE YEARS,
Nico had learned to master his emotions as well as he could. They got out of control sometimes, but he was better.

This fact didn't make today easier.

Nico stared at the ruins of Epirus, trying to tune out the little love triangle down below. Leo and Hazel were chatting while Frank stared at them.

Of course, Nico knew Frank was quietly observing. He saw the change in Leo just as well as the rest of them did.

Nico squeezed his eyes shut. He'd be more worried about how this was going to impact Erith if he knew she was going to get out alive.

But he could feel Erith and Percy. He could feel their souls being ripped from their bodies.

He opened his eyes and spotted a glittering green river snaking through the hills a kilometer away. "There!" he called, pointing and trying to keep his voice even. "Maneuver us that way. We're close to the temple. Very close."

For better or worse, this was it. Part of Nico wanted to hide and just wait in suspense. He wasn't sure how he could take it if Percy and Erith died. Percy was the first boy Nico had ever really loved, and Erith was someone he loved like a sister.

Black lightning ripped through the sky and Nico's hand trailed down to his blade, fingers curling around the hilt. He was the son of Hades, and he had learned not to run. 

"Everyone, arm yourself," Jason was saying as Annabeth stood by his side. Her hair was pulled back, and there was a defiant glint in her gray eyes. She looked far more ready for this than Nico was.

As Frank disappeared to go find Coach Hedge, Nico slid down from his perch and strode across the deck, staring at the black lightning. He wouldn't flinch. Nico di Angelo had faced plenty of battles. He wasn't that scared little kid anymore, running from a scream.

"You okay?"

He turned. Jason was standing there, gesturing at the deck. Nico glanced at his feet and saw darkness spread out from his shoes.

He took a deep breath, trying to focus on not sending out his death aura. "I'm fine." Which was a lie, and not even a good one. Nico could feel the tenseness in his own shoulders.

Annabeth stood alone now. She glanced over, searching Nico's face, and he saw a flicker of emotion pass across her gaze. Then it quickly dissolved.

Of course: she was the leader. Her and Jason had to keep it together. If Annabeth started freaking out right now, then they would all freak out. Right now, they needed to put their all into it.

Nico turned away from Jason as another streak of lightning ripped through the air, and despite himself, he smiled. They were nearly there.

"Get everyone on deck," Nico said. "We're here."

Then he raised the scepter and tried to channel his emotions into his power.

If this is it, he thought, then fight like hell.

Leaving Hedge behind was a blessing. Gods knew he would likely mess up the operation, and right now, Nico didn't have the patience to deal with a crazed goat. He was afraid if someone looked at him the wrong way, his nerves would fry.