stupid love goddesses

ERITH JAY
ERITH WOKE TO Percy's arms around her. His forehead was pressed against her temple, and his breath tickled her cheek.

Erith's heart was beating so fast she was afraid it would wake him up. One of his arms was draped over her ribcage, and she could practically feel her heart waiting to burst through her body.

She had had a dream, or maybe a nightmare. She closed her eyes, remembering the flashes of scenes: snow on a cliff, the Hunters of Artemis with a girl that Erith did not recognize leading them, Percy screaming in anguish as Annabeth was thrown off a cliff on a monster's back, Thalia knocked into the snow and a satyr that looked like Grover from Annabeth's pictures and descriptions panting, holding a pair of reed pipes, Nico di Angelo and another girl that looked a lot like him, just older, standing in the snow looking scared and confused. Artemis stood by the girl leading the hunt. In the dream, Artemis had turned her cold eyes on Erith and had spoken: "Be careful with your choices, daughter of Apollo." 

The goddess had swept her hand, and the scene had dissolved. The only three figures remaining were the two girls that Erith had not recognized―the leader of the hunt, and the girl that looked like Nico.

Artemis had looked at the girls with such sadness Erith felt her heart ache. "These two understood the importance of sacrifice." Then Artemis turned her eyes back on Erith, and she could see the million years of grief in the goddess's swirling irises. "Will you understand, as well? Percy Jackson is too loyal. Are you the same?"

Erith wanted to speak, but she couldn't. Artemis smiled at her, but it was tinged with sadness, as if Erith was just as dead as the two girls were―because surely, that's what Artemis had meant.

"Be careful with Aphrodite," Artemis told her.

Then the dream had dissolved, and now Erith was trying to calm herself down and breathe.

She tried to gather facts about the dream: everyone in it had looked younger, save for Thalia, who just looked a little more lively and a little less at peace. She hadn't been wearing hunters' garb, either, or standing with the hunters.

"Erith?" Percy whispered.

Erith tilted her head toward him. His eyes were open. He gave her a small smile. "Hello."

"Morning," she said gently, trying to stop the shake in her voice. "How did you sleep?"

Percy paused, as if considering her question. "Well." He turned over, untangling himself from Erith to look at the clock by his lamp. "It's seven."

Erith blinked, looking at the gray light coming from the small circular window in Percy's cabin. "That's early."

"Well, we slept at like, five," Percy commented. He sighed, settling back into his mattress. "Dreams?"

"Dreams," Erith confirmed. "You first."

Percy paused again. Everything about him seemed so peaceful. "I dreamed of this cabin my mom and I used to go to in Montauk, when Gabe was still around." He sighed. "I miss it. Not Gabe, obviously. But I miss my mom. I haven't seen her since..." his voice trailed off, but Erith could hear the strain in his words.

"You'll see her again," Erith told him. "I promise."

"I hope so," Percy said. He sounded very unsure.