Chapter 10 : Big Shoes to Fill

The Severskys reserved the entire hotel for the wedding. The parents were given presidential suites, and the girls get to choose their own rooms. Morris and Slava helped with the luggage, dropping them off from door to door, until they finally reached Chloe's room.

Chloe opened her suitcase, unstacked the neatly folded clothes until she reached the bottom, where all her shoes were wrapped in individual shoes bags. She selected a silky black bag and handed to Morris.

"Did you take a look inside? I could have smuggled guns or drugs." Morris asked.

"No." Chloe shook and smiled. "I trust you."

"Then I think you are entitled to see what's in it!"

Morris untied the knot and reached inside, pulled out a pair of shoes and placed them on the bed.

"My God! They're beautiful!" both Chloe and Slava were stunned by what they were seeing.

It was a pair of mid-heel slippers in blue and silver threading, its surface covered in diamonds, on top of each toe rested a big butterfly, also made of diamonds. The sparkling surface creating an illusion that the slippers were transparent.

"The Glass Slipper." Morris explained. "Made with almost two thousand carats worth of diamonds, made for Anastasia Romanov, who was fascinated by the Cinderella story as a child. Her father had it made for her 18th birthday."

"But she never got to see it..." Chloe said, recalling the sad fairytale in history class.

"It was taken by the Reds, then stolen by the Nazi during World War Two. It went missing for half a century, until recently rediscovered in the black market."

"Why is it here? Shouldn't the Russian history museum be claiming it?" Chloe's eyes drawn to the slippers like a magical spell.

"They will. It was purchased by a benefactor who will later make the announcement. Meanwhile..." Morris picked up the slippers and placed it in front of Chloe's feet. "Fit the shoes, marry the prince!"

"You want me to wear it?" Chloe blinked, thinking the value of the historical piece.

"I have a go!"

Slava kicked off her shoes and slipped into the diamond slipper, her feet were hanging over the heels.

"Sorry, Slava. You're not the real princess." Morris cocked his head. "Chloe?"

Chloe bit her lips, her heart pounding as she removed her sneakers and socks, carefully slipping her feet into the princess's slippers.

The slippers were a size too large, leaving a finger of space behind her heels. She quickly withdrew her feet, hoping she didn't leave a smell. Somehow her heart felt relieved, if it had fitted her, she may never want to take them off.

"Looks like we're still looking for the missing princess!" Morris shook and laughed.

Chloe stood in her barefoot, blushed thinking she has just took part in a fairytale.

"Now, I need you to keep them here for me. Slava said it may take a few days."

"You want me to keep them here?" Chloe bewildered, thinking the value of the piece. "Don't you think it'll be safer with you? Or JoJo?"

"I'm a target now. My room is probably getting ransack as we speak, and JoJo would wear it to school the first opportunity she gets!"

"Yup, that's JoJo." Slava nodded.