The Story of Silence (2020)

Title: The Story of Silence
Author: Alex Myers
Date Published: July 2020
Publisher: Harper Voyager

Commentary:
If you've spent any time at all on my profile page, then you'll know that I'm a medievalist nerd. When I discovered this book I was SOOO excited! The 13th century tale it's based on is one that I originally read way back  in grad school, and I actually discuss it in chapter 9 on my nonfiction book Not a Fad: A Trans History Lesson, (external link: https://www.wattpad.com/612043274-not-a-fad-a-trans-history-lesson-chapter-9-silence).

I really enjoyed how Alex Myers turned this tale of magic and deviousness into one of exploring gender identity within a historically accurate medieval setting.

However, at times the plot was slow and the focus on historical details a bit drawn out, even for nerdy me. This was especially true in the beginning. The book opens with a traveling minstrel starting up a conversation at a tavern with a mysterious stranger. This stranger is Silence, who was born female, but raised male in order to ensure that they could inherit land and titles. When telling the minstrel their story, they start by giving context to their father's decision. In my opinion, this was a dry way to open the novel. If I hadn't been familiar with the original tale, I probably would've dropped the book. In the end, however, I was glad that I persevered. The story really picks up around chapter 3 and by the end I really felt satisfied with how things turned out.

If you are into historical fiction, then definitely check this novel out! But, if knights and swordplay aren't your thing, this one probably isn't for you.

Synopsis (copied from GoodReads):

A knightly fairy tale of royalty and dragons, of midwives with secrets and dashing strangers in dark inns. Taking the original French legend as his starting point, The Story of Silence is a rich, multilayered new story for today's world – sure to delight fans of Uprooted and The Bear and the Nightingale.

There was once, long ago, a foolish king who decreed that women should not, and would not, inherit. Thus when a girl-child was born to Lord Cador – Merlin-enchanted fighter of dragons and Earl of Cornwall – he secreted her away: to be raised a boy so that the family land and honour would remain intact.

That child's name was Silence.

Silence must find their own place in a medieval world that is determined to place the many restrictions of gender and class upon them. With dreams of knighthood and a lonely heart to answer, Silence sets out to define themselves.

Soon their silence will be ended.