The Dragon and the Captain

Staring past the shimmering gold bars made for a bird, the young Dracnascule flapped his wings in irritation. From being in the same place for close to a month he knew trying to escape was futile.

Sitting down with crossed legs and arms to mirror his frustration, Brorym thought back to all of his escape attempts. Maybe the young dragon missed something?

Within the first few hours of being captured, Brorym attempted several times to slip his body through the narrow openings between the bars. All it took was one body part to be free and Brorym knew the rest would follow. This was probably the moment Owen decided the small creature was not the brightest. It only took one hour to capture then cage the small creature. Within two hours Owen walks back into his cabin finding only half of Brorym's body sticking out between the bars while the other half was flailing back and forth. What was even more humiliating was the fact it only took one measly hand from the human, along wit not a lot of pressure to push him back where he belonged.

The third day he drove himself exhausted by trying to breathe fire on the bars. Maybe if he got them hot enough the teenager could use both of his hands to bend the bars apart. His luck wasn't there that day either. Brorym ended up just lying face down on the ground out of breath. The bars he focused on were not even budging. All he accomplished was making the bird cage so warm even the half-breed couldn't touch it without wincing. At least the human couldn't mess with his cage that day. Owen attempted just once to grab the door of the cage when his hand got scorched. Brorym knew the human would most likely take his anger out on him but at least the teen got a good laugh out of it.

Maybe if the draconian was nice and charming, basically a good pet, then the human would set him free? Bring him out to 'play'? Let's just say to this day the young dragon was still working on that plan. The human never seemed to want to get too close to Brorym. He would open the cage up to give the teenager food, but there wasn't much interaction from the human. It was like he was trying to avoid the young dragon. Brorym was grabbed, caged against his will, and at this point ignored. Which made him even more aggravated since he was a naturally talkative creature. Dracnascules weren't, but Brorym couldn't go one hour without expressing himself. By the fourth day, it got to the point the young dragon either talked to the human when he was in the cabin, never expecting an answer, or he talked to the wall.

"Maybe I could bite his hand the next time it came into the cage?"

The creek of the door instinctually made Brorym's flapped ears twitch a bit. Turning his head he watched as the rugged blond-haired man walked in. The young Dracnascule remained sitting with his tail wrapped around him as a protection. Even with the sway of the ship under his feet, the human was able to walk with such force and no sway, it always amazed him. Every thump seemed so natural like he's spent his whole life on the sea and the two were friends. He naturally aligned his sway and footing with the rhythm of the water even though he was not watching it.

He could tell one thing...the human was done. He was done with life, irritated with his crew, and wanted an escape...but Brorym was not going to allow that.

"So how was the water today Owen?" Brorym asked with a smirk preparing for that look of disdain from the human.

Right on cue, the human planted both hands on the desk giving an intended shake that the small six-inch creature would feel through his body. He gave a quick glare that summoned it all up. 'Shut up'. The human didn't even have to say anything for the dragon to get the idea.

"Did I touch a nerve, Owen?"

"It's Captain." Brorym could tell the human was going to be on edge but could not afford to slip up. Both knew at this point it was a game. Which one would cave in first? The small seven-inch half-human half-dragon who was destined to be sold or the 5'6 human Captain who couldn't afford to slip up or his money would fly out the window literally. If the Captain was willing to slink back into his quarters with the half-dragon, he must have been annoyed with the crew or had a lot on his mind.