CHAPTER 05: Scarlet Herring | Lucius

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Lucius is back, baby! Your favorite arcane tracker is here to give us an update on his investigation of the King's murder.

LUCIUS

THE SUN was already up when Lucius opened his eyes. Its morning light permeated through the cracked windows and shone upon his untidy room. He only got a few hours of sleep, but that was not unusual for him. He already got used to it, especially when there was a case to be investigated. The more interesting the mystery was, the less he slept.

He spent the early hours of the morning—past midnight—checking all possible entry and exit points to the throne room. He wanted to know if the culprit was an insider or an outsider. He scattered magic dust almost everywhere, but there wasn't any reaction. No trace of magic usage anywhere. He even checked every door and window, but none could be pried open. He was leaning to believe that whoever murdered the king was already in the Palace before the crime happened.

After his thorough inspection of the area, he went to check the Palace guardsmen's quarters. He did not care if it was already late and if mostly everyone was asleep around this time. The truth would not wait for anyone anyway. Luckily, the two guardsmen who stood by the throne room's entrance were still awake, shaken by the king's murder. Those who learned of the incident would barely have any good night sleep at all.

"So no one entered the throne room except the king and his knight?" Lucius asked.

The taller guardsman shook his head. "I swear on my mother's grave that not a single person snuck past us during our watch."

"We also didn't feel sleepy or fall asleep at that time," the shorter guardsman added. "Well, we couldn't fall asleep even if we wanted to. They always make the night guardsmen drink a special tonic that can keep us awake at night, until the end of our duty."

"That's why we're still up and you're able to talk to us."

The arcane tracker sighed. It would make his job way easier if the guardsmen caught even just a glimpse of the royal murderer.

"Let me help you with your memory. Just to be sure that you remember things right," he said. "Close your eyes. Take a deep breath. Think of what you were doing before the king and his knight entered the throne room."

The two guardsmen did exactly as they were told.

"Now hold your hands up in the air. Do not clench them. Just let them be. Relax. Focus on your thoughts. Continue inhaling and exhaling while recalling your memories."

The second Lucius saw their palms, he took out the vial of magic dust and sprinkled some on their hands. He kept on telling them to take deep breaths as he waited for any reaction. But there was none.

"Open your eyes." He pocketed the vial quickly. "Now, did any of your recollections change?"

They shook their heads slowly as they put their hands down.