CHAPTER 23: Her Excellency | Maeve

MAEVE

MAEVE

THIS HAD never crossed Maeve's mind. All she had ever wanted was to serve as a senator and make a lasting difference in the nation and for the people. Not once did she dream of becoming the president of the Senate the moment she walked in the august chamber. Not even in her wildest dreams or fantasy.

It was all thanks to her fellow senator from Darsche, Renoux Morrison. Without him and his colleagues, this would not have been possible. They risked being branded as turncoats by their comrades.

How did the Senate vote?

"Twenty-six in favor of Maeve Flannigan. Twenty-four in favor of Victor Sorensen. The chamber has made a decision. We have a new Senate president."

How a young republican senator from Darsche beat the most experienced and most influential monarchist in the chamber would be a good topic for history books. A republican, female, and young senator ascended to the Senate presidency. This would send shockwaves across the political arena. At the age of twenty-five, she became the youngest to hold the most prestigious office in the Arcerean government, next to the King.

This was unprecedented. This was historic.

"Congratulations, Madam President," Renoux greeted, offering a handshake to her. As she took it, he leaned closer to her left ear. "Take what is yours before Victor steals it back."

Maeve was still shaken by the sudden turn of events. Could you blame her? Anyone would be as shocked as everyone was. Even her fellow republicans were caught off guard. They dreamt of the day that they would take control of the Senate, but they did not expect the opportunity to be now. Today.

As Victor begrudgingly vacated the makeshift rostrum at the rear part of the session hall, Maeve made her way to her new seat. Her slender hands were shaking so terribly, she had to clench her fists to control them. Silence filled the air, then her footfalls echoed across the chamber. As she ascended the short steps, she felt everyone's gaze on her. She soon reached the podium where she stood before her fellow senators. This rostrum was not as high as the one in the original Senate session hall, but it was high enough for her to see what everyone was doing. All eyes were up on her.

It might sound redundant, but she could not believe it. She did not want it, she did not ask for it, but she got to take it. Someone out there was definitely more experienced and much wiser than her. But given the givens, who else could do a better job than her? Who else got better intentions than her? There was no one at the moment.

Maeve held the wooden gavel—the symbol of the Senate president's power—and examined it for a while. It felt lighter than it looked. This was hers to use now. And she did. Two strikes to get everyone's attention.

"A majority of you honored me today by electing me as your president." Maeve's gaze darted around the temporary session hall. "This is a great responsibility and, at the same time, a great burden, especially in these trying times. Some of you may think that I'm too young, too naive to lead this Senate. Some of you may be thinking that this is a huge mistake. You can doubt my experience for all you want, but you cannot doubt my love for this country."