CHAPTER 21: Bennett the Benevolent | Lucius

LUCIUS

LUCIUS

THE TRUTH would always come out. That's what Lucius had believed in his entire life. No matter how hard people tried to hide it, no matter how clever people thought they were, there was no way that they could bury the truth six feet underneath the pile of lies and expect no one to unearth it.

The past month, Lucius had been preoccupied with his search for one truth: who killed the late King Bennett the Benevolent? Other mind-boggling questions had surfaced, of course, such as what the motive was behind his death and why he did not use magic to fight back. But these little curiosities were not as significant as the biggest question of them all. Or so, Lucius thought.

After following an invisible scarlet thread of murder, Lucius and Isabella found themselves in the grand Arcerean Palace. They had been here once. The former arcane tracker always marveled at the architecture of this place—the very heart of the kingdom. But today, he did not come here to walk around and appreciate the beauty of this edifice. He came here to pursue the truth that had eluded him and the capitol constabulary for weeks.

"Captain!" Lucius called as he stepped out of the carriage. Isabella followed him next. They stood in front of the fountain on the base of the Palace. "Are we all set for today's hunt?"

"I've secured permission from the royal household to allow us entry into the Palace grounds," the captain told him after shaking hands with them. "We won't be entering the Palace anymore. We'll be meeting the suspects in the barracks."

Lucius darted his gaze around. He saw a couple of capitol constables marching the perimeter. "It seems that you've mobilized your unit for this arrest."

"I have assigned constables in every entrance and exit of the Palace premises. The captain of the Palace guardsmen is pissed that my men are marching around instead of his."

"He'll understand why once he realizes the gravity of the situation," Lucius replied. "Did you tell him anything about the—"

The captain shook his head. "Not yet. If you're right that two guardsmen conspired to murder the late king, we need to be careful and discreet about our next move. We don't know who else is part of this conspiracy. If I told the other captain, he might blurt it out among his men and tip the suspects off. Shall we?"

The three of them walked toward another building adjacent to the Palace. The constables saluted them as they passed by. Lucius returned their salutes even if they were meant for the captain, not him.

"I hope that you two are right about your theory," the Captain muttered, glancing at his two consultants. He seemed uneasy about it. "I've pulled all the strings that I can to make this arrest possible. If you're wrong, then I'd be embarrassed not only to the guardsmen captain, but also to the royal household. It might even cost me my job—"