CHAPTER 24: Decades-long Deception | Lucius

LUCIUS

LUCIUS

THE FINAL piece of the puzzle that he had been looking for fell on his hands. The journey to acquire it was not an easy one. Some twists and turns along the way tried to get him off the trail. But in the end, his indomitable curiosity and unquenchable thirst for the truth led him to the right path. Lucius got everything that he needed to make a conclusion, all thanks to the newly installed Senate president.

Now, the time had come to put all the pieces of the puzzle together.

"How did it go?" His partner Isabella asked the second he entered his humble office. She sat on the dusty couch, her legs crossed. She had been waiting for him for more than an hour. "What did the new leader of the Senate want from a retired arcane tracker like you?"

Lucius removed his trench coat and tossed it at the clothes rack in the corner. His aim with shooting guns was impeccable, but his aim with throwing stuff was not. His cloak dropped on the floor, but he did not bother to pick it up anymore. Isabella did.

"She wanna know more about the Palace courtyard incident," he replied as he loosened his tie and unbuttoned the upper part of his shirt. "She thought I could give her the information that she needed."

Isabella's left eyebrow crept up after hanging the cloak. "But she could have asked the Palace about it. If they send in a messenger here, I'm sure they can also send one there. Why go through you?"

"It seems that there's a rift between the Palace and the Senate." Lucius jumped on his seat and swiveled it. He slouched his back. "The former refused to cooperate. Ah, these high lords and ladies, and their politics! They held the truth hostage just because they don't like the ones seated at the table."

"That's politics for you." Isabella returned to the couch. "The monarchists lost control of the Senate, so the Palace must be extremely upset about it. If the republicans gain more support in the coming years, they may be able to bring down the monarchy for good."

Lucius chuckled. The idea of dragging the royal family out of the Palace seemed absurd to him. "Majority of the population are still royalists and monarchists. Those ambitious republicans couldn't just make them their fans. The only way the tables will turn is if the new king fails at his job. Maybe they should have let him have dictatorial powers. If he mishandled the peace and order situation, his subjects would see him as incompetent."

"But the sentiments in the provinces are changing. The republicans won a seat in every province, even in the capital city. That must have terrified the monarchists. If this would go on, we might turn into a republic within our lifetime. I'm not sure if that's something that I should look forward to."

"Monarchy, republic . . . It doesn't matter to me." Lucius scoffed, his eyes glancing sideways at his partner. "As long as I have money and I can live the life that I want, that's all that matters to me."