Chapter sixteen

Layla

I jerk upright, feeling the soft compress of a mattress and warmth of a duvet. I'm on a bed but not in the place I was earlier. There is an actual door and beds are rested against the wall next to me as well as opposite. Metallic cabinets and tall cupboards are placed between some beds. Where am I?

Stretching my arms, something around my left wrist catches my eye. It's an angel watch. The watch doesn't completely engulf my slick wrist which surprises me. The strap is black with a large circle at the top and two red smaller buttons on the side. I'm a Guardian angel now. But I hardly recall the process of becoming one. How did I even get here?

What is constant though is my bandages still on me from when I was scratched. I should take them off. I wriggle out of my cardigan but this is as far as I am going with the removal of clothing because I have no idea where I am. I'll just have to try to take the bandages off with my black vest on.

I pick at the tape and begin to unwrap the white cloth from me. Constantly weaving in and out, under and over until I am free from the restrictions. Finally!

I throw the old bandage to the foot of the bed but frown as it's plain white. It doesn't have a spot of blood on it. Was my dressing changed? That would be the only plausible conclusion but when? How? I would have been aware. I would have made sure that I knew but I don't remember a thing. 

Wanting answers, I put my cardigan back on and make a move to get out of bed when I hear a faint voice.

     "I took her to the medical room after she fainted"

The voice rises again but the words aren't clear so I go over and place my ear on the door to hear better.

     "Yes. Yes, I know." The voice pauses between every answer and I work out that it's Maylock. "It had to be done. She was chosen Baymin, so it wasn't all for nothing. I'll sort it" he's talking about me?

Maylock's next words are quiet so I push my ear harder against the door to try and hear him. I push further but lose my balance and fall into the door which opens wide. 

I reach my hands out to break my fall but I don't make contact with the floor as I instead go into something - someone.

I look up to see Maylock in my arms.

     "You good?" he looks at me and I nod as I push him away.

This room is massive. Four large square skylights brighten this room. There is a brown door far over to the right and a double door along the same side but down a couple of steps. 

A short corridor lines next to the room I was in with doors along the left. The entrance is marked with a sturdy marbled arch supported by two speckled black pillars. 

Flashing coloured lights are reflected from its side and I follow them to a cluster of computers - a giant console even. It takes up the whole corner of the room. Buttons glimmer and pulse and a 2D screen is built within. A keyboard and switches lay below it. Slightly higher than the screen is a small plastic dome, much like an alarm or a warning light of some sort. They are dotted about on other walls around this room. 

To the left of this console is an alcove within the wall that fits five individual white beams of light and I spot two of those circle locks on the same wall that the console backs onto. One is in the middle of a grey door right next to it whilethe other is just on the wall a little bit further along.

     "Where am I?" I ask Maylock.

     "Miscellania" he answers and I can finally put a building to the name I have been hearing. "I have informed Baymin about this predicament"