Chapter 1: The Big Day Pt. 1

Thirteen years later

Luke POV:

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

I groaned as the sound of my alarm clock woke me up. I rolled over and hit the button to turn the alarm off. I took my time getting out of bed before I started getting dressed. 

My name's Luke Jackson, by the way. I'm thirteen years old and I live with my grandma, step-grandpa, and my aunt, who just happens to be two and a half years older than me. Now, I know what you're thinking: "Where are your parents?"

My grandma said that a couple of months after I was born, my parents went on a trip together by boat and that they got caught in a really bad storm and drowned. But I think that's just B.S. They probably just abandoned me since they were barely into their twenties when they had me. I mean, why wouldn't have they taken me as well? And I've never actually seen any baby pictures of me with them.

That being said, don't think that I'm in some charity case because I don't have parents. I've actually had a pretty good life. At home, I do have what could be considered a typical family. My grandparents are basically my parents, and my aunt is basically my older sister. 

At school, I have good grades, and I'm the captain of my school's track team. Since I also love swimming, I could've joined my school's swim team, but my grandma wouldn't let me. I guess it's because my dad, her son, apparently died from drowning. But I figure that I'd be pretty good since my grandma does always say that my dad was one of the best swimmers she's ever seen and that "he's even better than Michael Phelps in his prime." I'm not sure if I believe that statement though.

Once I was all dressed, I looked in the mirror. I had auburn hair and pale blue eyes, like my mom, but I looked a lot like my dad. I was about average height for my age, standing at around 5'2". One thing that was a little odd about my appearance was the fact that I had some gold flakes in my eyes. Whenever I asked her about it, my grandma always said that that was the case because my dad's grandpa, on his paternal side, also had gold eyes.  

Since it was starting to get hot outside, I just wore a plain and basic navy blue T-shirt with some black shorts. I made sure to pack an extra pair of clothes today for Track, as well as my running cleats.

I tried to brush my messy hair, but I couldn't. Like my dad, I had really messy and disheveled hair that swept to one side.

Just like every day, I spent about five minutes trying to neaten my hair up. Once five minutes had passed, I gave up, just like I did every day.

I then stuffed my homework into my backpack went down the stairs of our brownstone. We had moved into this brownstone when I was about five or six years old. I dropped my backpack and track bag on the ground, in front of the door, and took a seat at the kitchen island. Estelle, my "aunt", was already sitting and eating her breakfast.

"'Morning, Luke," my grandma greeted, with a smile.

She handed me a plate of blue eggs and bacon. They're blue because of some inside joke she had with my dad, and they would eat blue food on special occasions.

As soon as I took a bite out of my food, I couldn't stop eating it. My grandma was a great cook. Everything she made was amazing. And don't even get me started on her blue cookies; I will fight you for the last one.

Within two minutes, I was done. Seeing my empty plate, my grandma asked, "Do you want more?"

I quickly nodded my head, "How's that even a question?"

My grandma chuckled a little at how fast I finished my food before taking my plate and putting more eggs and bacon on it. Before handing me the plate, she scolded, "This time, eat slower. You don't want to have a stomach ached, do you? Especially today."