Chapter 2: The Big Day Pt. 2

As soon as I stepped into the locker room, I felt the excitement in the air. I still couldn't believe we were at the championships.

I quickly went to my locker and changed into my track uniform and cleats. As I was tying my cleats, one of my teammates, John, came over to me and said, "You nervous?"

I looked up at him and replied, "No. It's just the biggest Track Meet I'll ever run in."

I paused for a second before adding, "Of course I'm nervous, John! Why wouldn't I be nervous?"

John shrugged, "I dunno. Do you think we have a chance?"

I nodded, "If we didn't, we wouldn't be here, now would we?"

"True," John said.

Once I finished tying my cleats, I heard someone clear their throat. I looked around to see my coach standing in the middle of the locker room. He said, "I'm very proud of the work you all have put in to get to where we are now. You've all worked very hard this season."

Some people murmured things like "Yeah" and "Mhmm."

Coach continued, "Even if we lose, be proud of yourselves for getting to this point. That being said, our school has not won a single sports championship in over a decade. I think it's time we bring one home!"

Everyone cheered, "Yeah!"

Coach said, "Alright then. Let's go and show Brooklyn-North what Goode Middle School is made of!"

"Yeah!" We all cheered again.

Coach opened the doors of the locker room that led outside. Lightly jogging, we made our way around the school and towards the running track.

As the running track came into view, my jaw dropped. The environment was electric with a huge crowd and music blasting. The excitement only increased when we entered the stadium. I saw local news crews from ABC7 and others standing near the field.

The crowd was so large that many people weren't even able to sit on the packed bleachers. Matt wasn't lying about the whole school being here, I thought.

We made our way to our benches, which were right next to the track, and sat down. While I took a sip out of my Gatorade bottle, I saw Grandma, Gramps, and Estelle in the crowd on the bleachers.

After we got settled and Brooklyn-North came into the stadium, the PA announcer took the mic and said, "Welcome everyone, to this year's New York City Junior High Track Championships!"

The crowd erupted. As the cheers died down, the announcer continued, "This year's championship will be between Goode Middle School and Brooklyn-North Middle School. The weather today is perfect for Track with the temperature being a comfortable 73 degrees Fahrenheit, with very few clouds in the sky. Our first event today will be the long jumps. As the events get underway, we ask that all cellphones be on silent and that when taking pictures, the flash be turned off. Thank you for your cooperation."

Coach pointed at John and said, "You're up."

As John got up, Coach patted him on the back, "Go get 'em, Johnny Boy."

John made his way up to the runway and got into position for his jump. When the whistle was given, John took off at full speed. My stomach knotted from my anxiety. Kind of like how you feel when your teacher is returning the test you took last week.

As he approached the sand landing area, John increased his speed. Once he was about two feet from the end of the runway, he jumped upward and outward. My stomach twisted even more as I watched him glide in midair.