Chapter 5: WTF?!

"What do you mean?" I asked, starting to get frustrated with the same answer every time. "Whenever I've asked a question since I got here, that's all I've been told. 'You have much to learn.' 'You deserve to know the truth.' What does that all mean?"

Chiron looked at me sympathetically. He sighed, "The world is much more dangerous than you realize, Luke. There are things that your grandparents have hidden from you. Things about your parents... and things about yourself."

I looked at him in confusion. "What things?"

"Things like the true fate of your parents." He replied.

"What do you mean? I thought they drowned after their boat got caught up in a terrible storm."

Chiron shook his head, "They didn't drown, Luke. They're alive."

My body went numb. What did he say? Did I hear that come out of his mouth? I always thought their death was suspicious, but I hoped that it was true and that they loved me.

Chiron probably saw my reaction, so he quickly explained, "Your parents didn't abandon you, Luke. They were forced to stay away from you by fate itself. But they've had a large impact on your life nevertheless. They gave you to Sally because she and Paul would raise you just as well, with as much love, as they would have. They've kept an eye on you your entire life, ensuring you were safe. They love you more than you know."

I have so many questions right now, but I don't know what to ask first. And even if I knew, it feels like my subconscious pressed my mute button; I couldn't utter a word. I was frozen in place.

Chiron put his arm on my shoulder and said, "Come with me. I'll explain what happened, and why your parents were forced to give you to your grandmother."

I nodded my head slowly.

As we walked back through the camp, the only thing on my mind was the question: Why were they forced to give me up?

I knew Chiron would answer it as soon as we got to where he was taking me, but I still couldn't get it off of my mind. And that's saying something, considering what was around me. I mean, I just saw a dragon. A fucking dragon!

In the distance, I saw a large group of people gathering at the Amphitheater. They were all wearing the same orange T-shirts. I looked at Chiron and asked, "Is that where we're going?"

He nodded, "Yes."

I raised an eyebrow, curious as to why we were going there when Chiron was supposed to be talking to me about my parents, but I didn't push it. It seems he's had conversations like these before.

When we got close to the pit thing, Chiron said, "Wait here."

I watched him make his way to the pit, and the crowd died down almost immediately. Chiron said, "Thank you all for coming. Now, I'm sure you are all wondering why I called you down to the Amphitheater this afternoon."

He paused as there seemed to be an agreement with his statement amongst the crowd. He continued, "You are here because a new camper has just arrived."

There was a lot of excitement in the crowd. I heard some people call out things like, "'Who is he?' 'What's his name?' 'Where is he?'"

Chiron motioned for the crowd to silence. He said, "This camper is very special. Please treat him kindly as he still does not yet know about our world... and more specifically, his heritage. I now present to you our new camper, Luke Jackson."

There was a large gasp in the audience.

"It can't be."

"He's his son?"