Deja vu

6 years ago

They dramatically stared with their eyes to fall onto my head and down to my black sneakers. The silence was broken by the fall of the Asian dude who attempted to lean onto a random locker. He fell to his ass, and that earned a giggle from me.

"You're pretty. I'm Summer." The intros followed, and they became my closest friends.

"Then why don't you do something about it? Jane asked about the rumors about Austin and me dating.

I told them just how much of it wasn't true. Austin and I weren't dating, and yet we both didn't do anything to clear the rumors.

I ignored it because he ignored it too. He and I could be anything else besides being in an intimate relationship. I knew that, but what was so wrong with letting a fantasy wander around you? Nothing.

It didn't take long for them to suggest the most childlike idea, pretend date Andres as a way to get people to not believe the rumors. I knew it was a way to get Andres and I closer besides actually clearing the rumors.

I did hesitate but what was the worst that could happen? Andres was cute, and I might have just liked him.

The worst did happen, Austin. The school was convinced, and yet he wasn't pleased. He befriended Andres all of a sudden and followed us to lunch every day.

What was his problem?

He'd yank my bag and carry it through the hallways, not forgetting the cliche forehead kiss whenever he said goodbye.

All in front of Andrés.

If anything, I was starting to fall for Andres. I was bound to forget Austin and maybe fall in love with Mr. Swimming Championship. The chances were high; he was the perfect boyfriend, and I'd learn to love him.

But not so much with Austin to breathe down my neck as I ate lunch. He'd play with my hair with his friends to stare us down from a distance while making howls and applauds to Austin's amateur gestures. I put my spoon down to look at him with a sense of irritation.

I was bound to yell at him. My lips parted open to begin telling him just how much of an ass he was, but he shoved a carrot in my mouth before I could. I dramatically coughed as I spit the carrot into a pair of tissues.

He was elated. I just know he was having the best time of his life with other kids who stared and gasped at us as they passed by our table. He slightly bit his plump, pink lips with a growing smirk.

"You're pretty hot when you're gagging." What? I coughed even louder at his vile words and earned a wide grin from his face.

A-hole.

Present time

I

'm twenty-two now and living in the home I had planned to buy, but not with Kimberly.