i. the mission

⋆☆.* ✧✰ .✦⋆*☆

"GENERAL!" called a furious Nova Solo, storming into the command center under D'Qar's surface despite the exhausted protests of C3PO ("Commander Solo, the General is in a meeting, I insist you wait outside!"). While many of the high-ranking officials in the room were shocked by the sudden intrusion, the very woman Nova sought to talk to didn't seem surprised in the slightest—in fact, she wore a prominent smirk, clearly amused by the whole thing.

"You all know what to do," she told the command staff, who all hastily began to go about their work, leaving the mother and daughter alone to talk—or argue, depending on how things went. Leia turned to her daughter, still wearing the amused smirk.
"So it's General today? This should be good."

"You're sending Dameron on a solo mission to get the map from Lor San Tekka?"

Commander Nova Solo was never one to hide her concerns—because that's what this was, her concerns. She had seen her fair share of tragedy both before and during her time as a Resistance fighter, she'd do anything to ensure she didn't see any more—including frequently putting her own safety at risk, which was surely where this line of questioning was going to go. Luke had always said she reminded him of Obi-Wan in that sense; she was always thinking of others and the success of the mission, putting herself last. It was admirable, but also incredibly annoying for those who cared about her. Her mother sighed and made to reply.

"I am—" But where Nova Solo was, Poe Dameron was never too far behind. He came running in, followed by an exasperated-looking C3PO.

Contrary to their constant bickering, Nova and Poe were incredibly close both professionally and personally; with his ace flying skills and her professional-level combat and shooting skills, they were quite the team. When they weren't kicking ass in battles and skirmishes, they were hanging out with one another, not really saying all that much but enjoying the company nevertheless. They did, however, bicker like an old married couple.

"Commander Dameron, please!" said C3PO, the poor droid looking ready to shut down from all of the excitement and chaos.

"It's fine, Threepio," Leia told him kindly, which brought him a bit of comfort. With a hesitant look at the two newcomers, he left the room once again.

"Ya know, you're really fast," Poe told Nova, still attempting to catch his breath. Leia, using her inner strength to not laugh, turned her attention to him.

"We were just discussing your newest assignment. Commander Solo has concerns."

"I'm a big boy, Solo, I can handle myself."

"Against thirty or so Troopers?" she retorted, crossing her arms over her chest.

"It's a stealth mission, we get in and out before the First Order even realizes we were there."

"And what if they're following the same path we are and get there first? You could be walking into a trap!"

"And if we both go, we'd both be walking into a trap!" Neither had anything to say after that, merely staring at one another, fuming. Then, they looked to Leia. The woman hesitated.

"From a strategical standpoint, it would be easier to escape from First Order custody if you had backup—let's hope it doesn't come to that, but it's worth mentioning. As much as I'd love to throw strategy to the wind and only risk the lives of one of my best fighters, I know you'd never let me choose concern over strategy." Leia glanced at her daughter, who gave a firm nod of thanks. Then Nova turned to Poe, expecting him to argue, but it seemed he couldn't find any valid argument against the plan. He let out a sigh of resignation.