xviii. the last hope

⋆☆.* ✧✰ .✦⋆*☆

"WHAT?!" EXCLAIMED POE, his tone a mix of shock and relief. Nova had to admit, she was quite impressed; he played his part well, perhaps too well. It was the "too well" part that led her to believe he had ulterior motives, but what could they be? And did it really matter? He still gave them a vital piece of information and risked his life to do so, and while she certainly didn't trust him, she knew he wanted them to succeed, and therefore knew she could at least trust him to get them to safety.

That still didn't make her despise him any less, though.

"You?!" said Finn, pulling her back to the situation at hand.

"We don't have much time," Hux told them, heading to the door and closing it as a battalion of Stormtroopers began to walk past. They all picked up a spare blaster for themselves.

"I knew it!" Finn gave Poe a look that in itself was enough to call him out on his bullshit.

"No you did not." Poe looked a little deflated, but he didn't disagree, because he really hadn't known. It was as they waited for a clear route that Nova stepped forward, her curiosity getting the better of her.

"Why'd you do it?" she asked the First Order General suspiciously.
"You despise the Resistance." Hux, annoyed, turned away from the door to face her.

"Not that it's any of your business, but this New Empire of Kallen's is more of a threat to the First Order than it is an ally, most of my colleagues are just too drunk with power to see it."

"And you're not?" Nova scoffed, for no other reason than that she simply couldn't help herself. She had always wondered what she'd say to the man who created Starkiller, the man who ordered the destruction of the Hosnian system and the Resistance transports, the man who ruined and destroyed so many lives. The interrogation had only made her hate him more, and there she stood, finally able to say whatever it was she had been dying to say for the past several years. Her emotions got the better of her, clouding her vision in that she temporarily dismissed how short for time they were. Poe took a few steps to stand behind her, eyeing her with concern. Hux must have noticed her anger (it was hard not to), as he donned the smallest of smirks and narrowed his eyes.

"The sooner you wipe out the New Empire, the sooner we wipe you out. Don't mistake my sacrifice as a kind gesture, Solo. Just because I want you to succeed this time does not mean I don't enjoy watching you all suffer." Nova knew what he was referring to, they all did. Poe lunged forward at the man, but Nova threw an arm out in front of him to stop him.

"You're really just going to let him talk to you like that?" he murmured to her as she gave him a reassuring look.

"Stand down, Dameron. It's okay, really" she told him softly, and only once he stepped back did she return her attention to Hux. Then, without a moment's hesitation, she raised her fist and delivered a right-hook so powerful that it sent him to the ground, but not powerful enough for it to knock him out—after all, they did still need him to lead them to the Falcon. Poe and Finn grinned from behind her, and Chewie laughed. It was Nova's turn to wear a smirk.
"Been wanting to do that for a long time now." And with one last look at the general she waved a hand and the door opened.
"Coast is clear, let's go."

They all entered the corridor with Hux at the lead, Nova following closely behind and keeping a tight grip on her blaster to intimidate him more than anything else. They rushed through, making turn after turn and thankfully not running into any more trouble (because this time the First Order had no idea they escaped).