x. the master long gone

⋆☆.* ✧✰ .✦⋆*☆

THERE WAS A ROOM in the Temple, one that Luke had compared to the cave on Dagobah where he received his training. It was rarely used, and one would only be sent in when it was clear they were ready, as it was impossible to predict what they would encounter. It was a test of the truest form, one that changed everyone either for the better or for the worse. Everyone's experience was different depending on the battles going on in their mind; some were met with a powerful foe, others were reunited with family or friends long gone. "You will only encounter what you take with you," Luke would tell them, and off they would go.

Nova had entered the room twice during her training: once at fifteen and once at twenty-three, mere weeks before Ben fell to the Dark side. The first time she had encountered a hooded figure whose face she couldn't see, one with a red-bladed lightsaber who spoke in a voice so familiar, yet one she couldn't seem to place. She now knew that it had been her brother as Kylo Ren.

The second time was completely different. Shortly after their twenty-third birthday, the twins had learned a shocking truth: that their grandfather, about whom they had heard fantastic stories, had also been the one and only Darth Vader. Even worse was the fact that they hadn't learned it from family, but from the HoloNet courtesy of a political rival of Leia's.

Ben had been shattered by the news, but Nova had been more distressed by the fact that no one had thought to tell them. "We were going to tell you when the time was right," their mother had said on a call that night, but her words did nothing to make the twins feel any better—if anything, they made the situation worse. Nova could feel Ben's anger as he went to practice with his lightsaber in the training room, and part of her wanted to go do the same, to let off steam, but something was holding her back. She realized that, more than anything else, she needed someone to talk to. She needed guidance, advice...just the presence of someone who could make her feel better about the whole thing, someone who could explain it to her the way she felt Luke or her mother should have years ago.

So she found herself standing at the door to the mystical room.

Nova hesitated with her hand on the doorknob, but it was only a matter of time before she entered the dark room, closing the door behind her. She took slow steps, stopping in the center and closing her eyes, and it wasn't long until she felt a presence. Immediately, she began to regret entering the room at all. What had she been thinking?! She didn't know what she'd be facing, what if whatever or whomever it was would only make things worse? She nearly backed out, but...

"There's no need to be afraid," the voice of an older man reassured her kindly, and she opened her eyes to see a translucent figure standing before her, hovering just above the ground. He had white hair, robes much like Luke's, and a comforting smile.

"Who are you?" she asked with both strength and curiosity.

"You know me, just as I know you," he stated simply, much to her confusion. He must have noticed it, because he continued.
"Can you think of no one?" She thought for a moment, racking her brain as to who he could be, for he seemed so familiar—and then it suddenly hit her.

"I do know you," she murmured, and he looked pleased.
"You're Master Obi-Wan Kenobi, aren't you?"

"That I am," he replied.
"And you're Nova Solo. I've been watching over you and your brother, just as I've always watched over your mother and uncle." Nova didn't respond, for she didn't know exactly what to say—hell, what was one supposed to say to a Force ghost? Luckily, she didn't need to dwell on it.
"I sense great unease within you, Nova. What has you so upset?" She didn't respond right away, and it wasn't so much out of hesitation as it was out of shock. Of all the things she had expected to see in that room, Obi-Wan's Force ghost wasn't one of them. Finally, as she came to terms with it all, she spoke.