Nightmare

(Pre Judas Contract)

The first thing that unsettled him was the eerie cold, followed by feeling watched, and lastly was an echoing whisper that told him to follow its directions.

But Damian didn't want to.

His instincts didn't and neither did he, no matter how... alluring and comforting it was.
It plagued him every waking hour of the night and didn't disappear. It was distracting and annoying and making him weaker... He tried investigating what it was, but came up empty, irritating him to no possible end.
It didn't seem to be something technical... but supernatural, magical. And, like his father, Damian wasn't fond of magic users because, unlike technology or metas, they couldn't deal with them directly.

1 week after this weird... occurrence started he had gotten an alert for his research.
Children between 5 and 12 years old wouldn't wake up.
It started in a city as a phenomenon but the number had concerning only continued to increase, like a curse was spreading and infecting only children, leaving the adults baffled and fearing for their kids. A cure or counter also hadn't been found.
Currently, the 'curses' last appearance was a city away from Gotham, past Metropolis...

He wondered if Superman had noticed the issue and was dealing with it, though it was unlikely that he could. Superman wasn't a real detective. He knew the man was writing articles about himself, headlines even, and he was questioning how the Leaguer hadn't been accused of fraud or at least scamming yet. Granted, he had superpowers and didn't only write about himself but still, it would one day come to bite him in the ass.
To fight an enemy one needed to know them and that required investigative skills.
In which case he might ask another Leaguer, most likely his father or Doctor Fate for help. Both of which he was certain would be willing to help if it concerned kids, especially his father.

~~

"-Lil'D, watch out!"

A hand landed on his shoulder and pulled him backwards, effectively saving him from being hit by an electric blast. Careless, how careless of him to space out during a fight!

Damian clicked his tongue, biting down on it to concentrate on the pain and fully bring his attention back to the fight. Nightwing had meanwhile immobilised the attacker, but twelve other guys were ganging up on him while five focused on fighting him.
Damian took his katana that lay on the ground. He'd lost it when Nightwing had pulled him backwards earlier. Then he ran at the first guy, slashing the gun away, jumping and hitting him with the swords handle in the head. He used his momentum to lunge at the second, kicking him in the head and making him fall down. He landed, gunfire now following him like snakes.
He threw batarangs at two of them, hitting the barrel and blowing up the gun. He used their staggering and was on them instantly, punching one in the shin, then running behind the guy and roundhouse kicked him into the other.

The last guy seemed scared, his gun quivering in his shaking hold before giving a warcry, shooting at him.
Damian evaded, approaching him in swift movements and countering with his sword.
The guy then got out a pocket knife 'He should've given up when the ammo ran out'.

But before Damian could beat the guy two gunshots rang out.
One of Nightwing's opponents had shot at Damian's back, hitting his leg from behind, and the second one hit his opponent's knife out of their hands. Damian grinded his teeth in pain but quickly struck the guy, knocking him out.

Nightwing had finished his opponents and was now running over to him just as another figure dropped down from a flight of stairs - the Red Hood.

"Lil'D, are you OK?!"

"TT, of course I am, you imbecile. Even better if you had watched that shooter."

"Hey, Demon spawn! That was also on you, you could have evaded that shot 10 times outta 10."