Chapter 29

Fang Zhaomu took a nap again in Song Yuanxun’s car.

Song Yuanxun’s home was about three kilometres away from Fang Zhaomu’s place. When Mu and Andrew matched with each other, the app had shown that they were very close to each other. By the time Song Yuanxun parked his car in the garage, Fang Zhaomu had awaken, and he led Fang Zhaomu to the second floor.

The guest room was maintained properly all year round, and there were toiletries prepared. Song Yuanxun helped Fang Zhaomu put down his things, and left without staying for too long.

Weary with the day’s work, and also yet to fully wake up from his nap, Fang Zhaomu washed up and went to bed.

The next morning, Fang Zhaomu was a little giddy, his body aching, and his throat hurt. It seemed like the oncoming symptoms of a cold. He was very thirsty, and headed downstairs without changing out of his pyjamas.

Song Yuanxun’s place was pretty big. Fang Zhaomu made his way to the dining area from his vague memory, and Song Yuanxun was there already. He was fiddling about in the kitchen, it looked like he was cooking porridge.

“Song Yuanxun.”

Song Yuanxun turned to look at Fang Zhaomu. “You’re awake?”

“I think I may have caught a cold,” Fang Zhaomu sneezed. “Do you have water? I’m very thirsty.”

Song Yuanxun put down the ladle he was stirring the porridge with. Picking up a jacket by the side, he passed it to Fang Zhaomu for him to cover himself, and increased the central air by two degrees before pouring Fang Zhaomu a glass of water.

Taking the glass, Fang Zhaomu drank a mouthful. Song Yuanxun then asked, “How did you catch a cold? We didn’t go to anywhere too cold yesterday.”

“Might have caught it from you.”

“I was wearing a mask.” Song Yuanxun denied.

Fang Zhaomu mercilessly reminded him. “You weren’t wearing it when you kissed me.”

Song Yuanxun paused as he looked at Fang Zhaomu. “I’ll go find some medicine.”

“No need,” Fang Zhaomu had a glass in one hand, and his other hand grabbed onto Song Yuanxun’s sleeve and pulled him towards the kitchen. Fang Zhaomu was not very strong, but he was able to make Song Yuanxun move along with him. “What are you cooking? Why does it smell a little strange? Is it burnt?”

“It’s porridge.”

Song Yuanxun could not cook very well. He did not cook often, and only knew the simplest dishes. He had woken up very early to prepare porridge for Fang Zhaomu, and had spoilt a batch already, quickly redoing one more.

Fang Zhaomu held the glass and looked around the kitchen. “Why didn’t you use the rice cooker to cook the porridge?”

Song Yuanxun glanced at Fang Zhaomu, smoothly explaining, “It tastes better like this.”

“Oh,” Fang Zhaomu nodded his head, understanding. He took it onto himself to explain, “You didn’t know that you can cook porridge with your rice cooker.”

Song Yuanxun had wanted to object, but Fang Zhaomu was smiling at Song Yuanxun after saying that. He revealed two very shallow dimples, and Song Yuanxun no longer said anything.

Song Yuanxun had seen Fang Zhaomu’s sleeping robe before. Fang Zhaomu was wearing this exact one during that video chat. In grey, Fang Zhaomu looked very gentle, and he even had Song Yuanxun’s jacket over him, leaning over to Song Yuanxun, looking at the bubbling water in the pot.