CHAPTER 19 - Nightmares: Part 3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The plan had gone south to investigate the castle. Zoro was swept away by the river. Kanao finished the bat-demon off before pursuing the man. Her priorities remained with Zoro. The Pirate Hunter travelled a few kilometres north-east along the river. He failed to employ Armament Haki and his back ached from the fall upon the hard rocks. It was a miracle he was breathing, but the water current led him ashore at one point ending the water ride. He got up and looked around, discovering a valley covered with forests all around. He was lost.

And that bothered Kanao's thoughts. It had been a while before she found his landfall location, observing footprints leaving the small beach. It was not looking good. She looked around and realised that there was little hope believing the man returning back to Shi-niju. Kanao must find him before winds blow south with the situation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hawkins couldn't back down after his opponents demanded to confront him alone. He was the leader of the Beast Pirates group. He ordered no intervention from the others.

Blades clashed. Shinobu and Kanae made a coincident attack. Hawkins was impressed with their combined strength. The rally broke off, both the sides getting to know each other.

"I was supposed to capture the perpetrators but I'll have to kill you for the sake of my survival." Hawkins said, remembering the prediction on his cards.

Shinobu made the first move, piercing through her enemy, "Butterfly Dance - Caprice!"

Hawkins blocked the lethal strikes imbued with poison. Despite his effort, a few of them slid past his defence, piercing him at two points. Blood spewed.

Shinobu turned around surprised to find Hawkins' sword turn into a large straw mesh. She realised the surface area managed to block her direct attack. Two pirates in his group agonised from the poison Hawkins had received.

"What is that blade?" Kanae was shocked.

"This is my Straw Sword." Hawkins replied.

"A Devil Fruit power." Shinobu cautioned.

Hawkins was surprised by her knowledge of Devil Fruits.

"And it seems somehow conjoined to his friends." Shinobu added her speculation. The agony observed from the two unfortunate pirates.

"Very observant." Hawkins acknowledged, "I can see that you've shown your calibre. I don't believe I had heard the use of poison before in your previous shenanigans."

"That's because I hadn't." Shinobu replied, "I don't expect to use my blade on a human, but you are an exception."

Things began to solve in her head. The reason Zoro had surrendered to Hawkins back at the coastal village.

"Tell me." she asked, "Did you use that Devil Fruit power of yours to hold those village civilians hostages?"

Kanae was surprised to hear.

"I don't know how your powers work, but I'm correct now, aren't I?" Shinobu demanded.

"You are a sharp one." Hawkins said, a little impressed by her demeanour, "Tell me, you are not one of his crew, are you? Last I observed, the only women in their crew were Nico Robin and 'Cat Burglar' Nami."

"I'm not." Shinobu replied, "My name is Shinobu Kocho and I'm a Demon Slayer."

"I see." Hawkins nodded, aiming his Straw-blade upon her, "Either way, you have declared war against the Beast Pirates and I am one of their Headliners. The name's Basil Hawkins."