CHAPTER 5 - Puppet Master

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...is there anyone at the top of the ladder... Who's ruling the seas? Is it one of the Four Emperors or the Seven Warlords, or the brats from the Worst Generation, no... Maybe the Navy, the military force of justice. There are those strong members from the Revolutionary Army... The family of D. have been hiding in the shadow of history. When and where are they gonna show themselves?" chains resounded, "Who's gonna side with who? Who's gonna betray who? Tell the Celestial Dragons in the holy land of Mariejois that they'll be dragged down! Gold Roger died 25 years ago and explored the whole of Grand Line. Whitebeard didn't sit on the throne but took reigns in front of it. What about now? The pirate numbers are booming, and there's one seat that totally empty. You know what I mean, don't you? It will start! The biggest war in the history of piracy!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The clouds turned dark as a storm drew onto the island. The morning followed with a chaos of heavy winds and dark omen. Scratchmen Apoo looked out to the sea and felt that the troubles had just begun. Before he could've left out for the waters, he had to defeat the female swordsman and wait out the nasty storm.

"What a mess! I hope Kaido will be proud of sending us against a near-impossible task. An Admiral and a former Fleet Admiral wasn't what we had expected upon that battle. Man, I need to return back." Apoo was getting hasty. He struck his hands on his head and torso, creating explosions against the incoming enemy.

Rain fell from the sky. The sun was out and showed no hope of clearing up for the next many hours.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back in their hiding, Law and the others observed the battle between Kanae Kocho and Scratchmen Apoo. Despite Shinobu's urge to confront her sister once again, Law suppressed her to keep themselves unknown to the enemy. Looking at him, Tomioka was reminded that he himself had restrained Shinobu the same way when she was prepared to hunt down Tanjiro and his sister, Nezuko after the Spider-demon battle.

"Kocho-ya, I'm warning you to stop squirming. We can't let Scratchmen Apoo find out about us." Law growled.

"You'll get caught into their battle. Let's wait it out." Tomioka advised.

"She's going to die if the fight continues." Shinobu struggled.

"That's to be expected. He's a Pirate-Captain worth 350 million berries." Law said, "He's not to be joked about."

"Wasn't he there in Sabaody?" Zoro asked, "I'm surprised that he has a bounty more than me. Is he working for Kaido?"

"He had an alliance with Eustass Kid and Basil Hawkins. I don't know what happened after that. That guy's not to be trusted." Law warned.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both Kanae and Apoo were worn out from the battle that had lasted for more than two hours. They finally settled down to catch a breather.

"You are slowing down." the latter mentioned, "I have no intention of fighting with you. You have wasted my time as it is."

"Well, you are in for luck. I'm being called back. Since you have come from the sea, I'll have to report about your landfall, Scratchmen Apoo." Kanae said.

"Don't tell me you are working for the Marines?" Apoo was surprised. It could've meant trouble if Kanae was affiliated with the Marines and had reported back to any of the nearby Marine bases.