II

Star woke with a start. She was breathing heavily and was covered in sweat. She sat up in bed for a few minutes, trying to remember what had jerked her out of sleep. She had a vague memory of being unable to save Marco's life when he was abducted by Toffee.

Great, she thought, another nightmare. At least I didn't wake the whole corning castle this time.

Star took a photo from her purse, placing it where she could see it while she got ready for the day. Moon and Eclipsa had returned after several fruitless days searching for Meteora. Moon had convened an emergency meeting of the Magic High Commission, and as Crown Princess, Star had to take Moon's place in meetings she now could not attend. Star groaned; even if she were trying to be the best princess she could be, she still hated royal duties. She just wanted to be a teen and have fun.

As she put on her formal princess attire, Star reflected on the nightmares she could remember. The worst ones had a common theme: Marco was killed in front of her and Star was unable to save him.

Odd ... I don't think I've ever had one where Tom was the one in trouble, she thought in realization. Weird.

Star finished dressing, put the photo back in her purse, then opened the door to her room. Standing in the hallway was Marco, waiting to remind her of the day's duties if she was more than fifteen minutes late. The first time he had to remind Star, he did so after she was only a minute late. Marco immediately learned that he should wait longer; the encounter had not ended well for him.

"On time for once," said a smiling Marco.

Star, in no mood for teasing this morning, frowned, and simply said, "Shut it, Marco."

"Star, I told you before that it's rude to tell someone to shut it."

That brought a smile to Star's face. She reached over and pinched his cheek, saying, "But you're so cute when you're indignant."

"Whatever," Marco replied.

They walked side by side down the hallway and out of the royal living quarters.

"Since you aren't permitted to join me in my meetings, what will you be doing today?" Star asked.

"Knight training, then a study session on Mewni geography. After that, Kelly invited me to spar with her and Jorby. We'll probably get cornshakes afterwards. You wanna join?"

They stopped in front of the large meeting room, used for royal business meetings. Star turned to Marco, taking his hand, and said, "Have fun with training today. Don't tussle with Higgs again; that chick is crazy, man. I'll pass on the cornshakes, don't want to be the third wheel on a date again."

"We're just friends. Anyway, thanks for the advice about Higgs. As for you, try to enjoy yourself, or at least don't blast anybody this time."

Star pouted and mumbled, "That's how I enjoy myself."

They hugged, then parted. As Marco cut a dimensional portal, Star stood there and watched him leave. She felt a slight constriction in her chest, and even a slight pang of jealousy. It was not the first time that had happened when they had to separate for a few hours.

Odd ... I don't think I've ever had that happen with Tom, she thought in realization. Weird.

— Oo1oO — Oo1oO — Oo1oO — Oo1oO — Oo1oO —

"She has no right to be here," yelled Hekapoo.

The surviving members of the Magic High Commission ... Omnitraxus Prime, Rhombulus, Hekapoo, Eclipsa and Queen Moon ... were arrayed around the meeting table in the top room of the Bureaucracy of Magic.