V

Possible spoilers between the ⭐🦋 and 🦋⭐.

— OoOoO — OoOoO — OoOoO — OoOoO — OoOoO —

Star and Marco, in formal wear, walked down the hallway toward the large meeting room. Star was in her princess regalia: blue and white dress, white gloves, and hair up, topped with her crown. Marco was wearing his royal outfit: white formal jacket with epaulettes and cape, gray trousers, and knee-high black boots. As Star explained the protocols and customs of the meeting, they noticed two teens trying to blend in with a wall and failing.

One teen was a boy with short, blonde, hair, topped by a baseball cap with purple devil horns and displaying a large, yellow, star above the bill. He was wearing a light-blue shirt, long blue pants, purple rhino sneakers, and a green hoodie tied around his waist. He had blue eyes and pink lightning-bolt Magic-Pips.

The other teen was a girl with long, brown, hair, tied back in a large ponytail. She wore a red hoodie over a light-gray tee-shirt, and dark-gray shorts. She had brown eyes, a mole on her right cheek, and was rather well endowed, a fact that did not go unnoticed by Star.

As Star and Marco passed, the other pair grinned uncomfortably and gave bashful waves. Star and Marco gave small waves back and continued walking.

Marco leaned over to whisper in Star's ear, as the girl leaned over to whisper in the boy's ear, both saying, "We should probably pretend that never happened."

When the two besties reached the meeting room they paused to check each other's outfits, straightening anything out of sorts. Then, as Star lifted the hem of her dress and reared back to kick the door open, Marco reached out and opened it. "Aw," Star pouted. Marco responded with a rueful look.

Already in the room were Kelly, Princesses Penelope Spiderbite and Jaggs Jaggy, and Princes Larry Kelpbottom, Rock Johansen, and Richard Pigeon, all in formal attire.

Today was the day Star was officially presenting the Petition of Friendship, signed by the heirs apparent of the various allied kingdoms of Mewni. Marco was in attendance not as Star's squire, but as an unofficial observer from a dimension nominally allied with the Butterfly Kingdom. Kelly was there in a similar role for the Woolandia Dimension.

The princes and princesses greeted Star and Marco warmly, with Star receiving a rare hug from her cousin. Marco and Kelly also hugged, Marco saying, "Kelly, I had no idea you would be here."

As the two friends released each other, Kelly responded, "Star didn't tell you?"

"No."

Kelly glanced at Star, narrowing her eyes almost imperceptibly. Marco noticed. What was that about? he thought.

"Wait," Star addressed the group, "where's Tom and Pony?"

"Sorry, Star," Marco responded. "Tom texted me this morning and in the rush I forgot. The text said 'Sorry, I don't do politics.'" Marco couldn't help the quick flash of anger he felt at Tom bailing on Star yet again.

Princess Spiderbite spoke up, saying, "Princess Ponyhead is ... um ... indisposed." She rolled her eyes.

"I know what that means," Star responded. Why did Pony tell Penelope and not me? Star wondered. And Tom tell Marco?

The bell announcing the beginning of the royal audience rang, ending any further socialization. As the attendees moved to their proper places, Manfred announced the arrival of the queen and king.

"All rise! Queen Moon and King River, sovereigns of the Butterfly Kingdom and of Mewni, grants you, the royals of the allied kingdoms, and honored representatives of the allied dimensions, an audience."