III

Star exited the space-time portal, followed a few moments later by Marco, into the smoking ruin of a room. Destroyed bits of furniture and possessions were strewn everywhere. A pair of legs wearing green-striped leggings and pink boots, sticking out from under the remnants of the bed, kicked endlessly. As the two gaped at the destruction, they heard a groan from underneath a pile of rubble on the opposite side of the room from the bed.

Star immediately raised her wond, yelling, "Lev-ih poh-tay-toe poh-tah-toe!" The rubble immediately turned into hundreds of potatoes, which floated up to the ceiling. Underneath was Star and Marco, still alive but unconscious.

"Oh, corn!" screamed Star. "Cardigan Healing Cocoon!" A mist erupted from the wond that quickly turned into strands of fabric, wrapping the AU's Star and Marco in their fuzzy, purplish, brodum.

"It will take several hours, but they'll be fine," Star said.

"With all the times we've been hurt, why have you never used ..." Marco began.

"Hup, bup, bup," Star interrupted, "we have a bigger mystery to solve. What happened here?"

"It looks like a bomb went off."

"So, my bomb trap worked," a voice out of nowhere said.

Marco gave a small yelp, dropping into a defensive stance. Star jumped then brandished her wond, shouting, "Wha? Demon! Janna? What ... what are you doing here?"

"I just came to check on whether you found the trap I left for you to use in the game." Janna surveyed the room, then said, "Although, you weren't supposed to set it off in here, you were supposed to set it off during the game."

Star and Marco exchanged a glance. Star gave a slight shrug. Marco slowly said, "You know I don't cheat at ... whatever I do. Star may make up new rules as she goes, but she doesn't actually cheat."

Star stuck her tongue out at Marco.

Marco shuddered. "Keep your tongue in your own mouth, please," Marco said.

Star suddenly noticed Janna had taken an interest in her and was staring intently. Star was wearing her green rainbow dress, with green-striped leggings, pink boots, red horned hairband, and spiked bracelet. Star realized it was the bracelet Janna was staring at.

"Weave a tapestry," Star said, "it will last longer."

Janna ignored Star's sarcasm. "I thought you lost that bracelet in The Dimension of Unbelievable Coincidences."

Star's mind raced for a credible explanation. "Um ... believe it or not, by coincidence, I was given a new one as a present ... for ... a holiday. Yes, that's it."

Janna narrowed her eyes, looking back and forth between Star and Marco. Their body language, forced grins, and excessive sweating suggested they were hiding something. Finally, Janna decided this was no different from any other secret Star and Marco kept; she would simply check the camera footage later.

"Well, good luck today," Janna said, as she turned to leave. "I made a bet that will win me a Demonic Darkholde if you win, so don't let me down. Oh, by the way, Tom will be cheering for you as well. Somehow you forgot to invite your other boyfriend, again, so I gave him a call. I don't know why you keep doing that when the two of you are ..." Janna formed her left thumb and index finger into a circle, while slowly inserting her right index finger.

"WE ARE NOT!" screamed Star, forgetting she was in an alternate universe where they very well could be.

"Loud!" Janna murmured as she turned and left the room.