Chapter 2

After band class had ended and I had put up my flute, I went to hug Jetta like I always did at the end of the day. "What are you doing? You're coming home with me," Jetta laughed, but hugged me anyway. "It's a habit," I replied, laughing along with her. "Alright. Wait here and let me put up my stand and chair, and then we can go," she told me, stepping away.

   As Jetta put up her things, I stood by the door, thinking. "Hey, um, Jetta?" I called. She looked at me, questioning. "Could I go outside and say bye to Natalie? Addison can take me to the bus," I told her. "Sure, I'll be out there in a second," she replied.

   "Don't forget your trumpet!" I called over my shoulder as I walked out. When I got outside, I saw that Addison and Natalie were already walking towards the buses. "Hey! Natalie, Addison!" I called, walking up to them. "Hey, Scarlet. Where's Jetta?" Addison asked.

   "She'll be out any time," I answered. "Bye, Addison," Natalie said as she climbed onto the bus that she and I usually rode. When I didn't follow her, Natalie turned around, looking confused. "Oh. I guess I didn't tell you, but I'm going home with Addison and Jetta," I said. "Well, you should probably go..." Natalie replied, looking past me.

   I turned around, only to see Addison walking away. I sighed, walking quickly after her. "Why did you leave me?" I asked Addison when I caught up with her. "Sorry. I thought you could find your own way to bus eight." she said. "Well, you're wrong, I have never rode bus eight," I replied.

   "You gotta count. One...two...three..." Addison continued to count. "Are you two counting?" a voice said from behind us. I turned around to see Jetta walking towards us. "She is, not me." I said, gesturing to Addison. "She doesn't think I know how to count." I added.

   "I didn't say that.'' Addison said. "You sure thought it though," I answered, smiling. "Why are y'all going one mile per hour? We have to get on the bus," Jetta said, walking faster to get on the other side of me.

   I looked over to see that we were only in front of bus six. "We ARE going pretty slow." I agreed. I then put down my bag and kneeled down to unzip it. "Now what are you doing?" Jetta asked, her and Addison stopping. "Well, I have to have a note," I answered, pulling a piece of paper from my bag.

   When we got to the bus, I gave my note to the bus driver, then Jetta, Addison, and I sat down in a seat. "I just remembered I have homework," I said, frustrated. "What kind of homework?" Jetta asked curiously. "Pre-Algebra," I replied boredly.

   "Would you like some help with that?" Jetta asked. "Yeah, hold on. Let me text my mom," I answered. I waited a few minutes after I had texted my mom, and then put my phone back in my purse. I decided not to do my homework until we got to Jetta and Addison's house, where I could do my work on a flat surface and Jetta could help me.

   When we got to the house and went inside, Jetta and I went to her room, and I pulled out my work. After what had felt like only a few minutes, I had my Pre-Algebra done. But then that's when I looked at the time on my phone. It was six o'clock. It had taken me two hours to get my work done! "Has it really been two hours?" I asked myself.

   It was Jetta who answered. "I guess so. But half the time I don't think you were even working on your homework, we were talking," she replied. "Yeah, you're r-" That's when my phone rang. Turns out it would be the phone call I would savor forever...