Chapter 8

In first hour, which was Pre-Algebra for me now, the teacher put me a few seats from Scarlet. Natalie was also in the class. As I watched Scarlet from my desk, she shifted uncomfortably in her seat.

   Did she do this every day? I didn't think so. I wished I could walk over and talk to Scarlet (or at least attempt to), but I couldn't. Occasionally, I glanced over and saw Natalie looking at Scarlet too.

   As the teacher handed out assignments, Scarlet laid her head down on her desk, like she had in the cafeteria. The teacher glanced at Scarlet, and then saw the worried look on my face as I looked at her. "What's going on?" the teacher asked me.

   I then explained to him quietly what the situation was. When I was done explaining, we both looked over at Scarlet. She was actually doing her work. How strange.

   When the teacher walked back to the front of the room, he reminded us all to put our names on our paper.

   Apparently, Scarlet had forgotten to put her name on her paper, because she quickly began writing her name at the top of her paper. But then, the unbelievable happened.

   Scarlet threw her paper up in the air and covered her face with her hands. "No, no, no" she kept saying to herself over and over again. When the teacher wasn't looking, I picked up Scarlet's paper. Right at the top of her paper, Scarlet had written 'Scarlet Reed', but 'Reed' had been erased, and I could still see it. Today was gonna be harder than I thought...