11

— Chapter Eleven —

Of course nothing was normal when Donghyuck woke up. The heat in the room was unbearable and Donghyuck opened the door. Actually now he had a shit ton of time to kill so he checked out the rest of the lowest level of the apartment complex as well. It was empty, deserted. Noting and nobody was here, not even a zombie. But that wasn't what was so scary, the scary thing was the silence. It was total and absolute, ruling over everything as the only sounds being made were by Donghyuck. He felt like a criminal almost when he loudly stepped onto the tiled floor.

He didn't see anything that could help him, was grateful though when he found a storage room with canned food. He wouldn't run out of that for now and he took one of the ramen noodle packages in the kitchen and made himself some. While the noodles were boiling, Donghyuck though of how to proceed. He wasn't too sure but maybe just wanted to rest for now. And that's what he did. After eating, he laid back down. He wasn't sleeping but just dozing off like he had done so frequently these past days.

All was good and Donghyuck felt actually relaxed for once, until he heard something that was. And with a suddenly pounding heart he listened. A sound, not human neither caused by nature echoed through the hallway. Donghyuck rose up, aware that the gun was in the kitchen and therefore out of reach. Chewing on his lower lip, Donghyuck hesitated but then stepped out into the hallway. One side was clear already but then Donghyuck heard another sound from behind and he knew already but when he turned around, he still jumped at the zombie just a few meters from him.

"Oh shit." he whispered and then just ran. He didn't know where to or how to escape, he just ran. Pure instinct helped him as he sprinted down the hallway. The zombies groans were loud behind him and Donghyuck knew that if he stopped running he would probably throw up. He took the turn into the small kitchen, slamming the door shut behind himself. However just mere seconds later he could hear the zombie's loud attempts at breaking the door down so he just grabbed the gun from the counter, smashed down the small window and squeezed through it.

The difference in air temperature hit him as the sun was already sinking down under the horizon which was plastered with skyscrapers. It was a pretty view but Donghyuck had no time to appreciate it as the next thing he registered was the zombie in the small alleyway he had just escaped to.

"You've got to be kidding me." Donghyuck muttered under his breath and then picked up his pace again. He knew the open street was the only way to go to so that's where his feet carried him. He ran and ran, not even knowing where. And suddenly he found himself back on the street with Mark's apartment complex. He sighed in relief, as much as he could anyway because his breath was shallow and legs and lungs aching from the sudden activity. The zombie had almost caught up with him and tears pricked in Donghyuck's eyes as he was desperately searching for a place to hide. He ran into one of the buildings but was only greeted with another zombie so he did a 180 degree turn and ran back to the main street.

His body was becoming weaker. Donghyuck knew he had to home up with a solution now or else he himself would be a zombie within the next few minutes. Actually make that seconds because one of the zombies reached out and it's bloody hand scraped over Donghyuck's abdomen. The man screamed out in pain as the sudden shock wave made him stand still. He clutched his stomach, feeling as if his insides were bleeding out of him. He was pretty sure he was going to pass out in a second and for a brief moment he thought of giving up. Just staying still, letting the zombies get him and just die. Because Mark wasn't here, wasn't there to save him. And he wouldn't come either.

There were actual tears now falling from his eyes, blurring his sight as he just thought of Mark. And as much as he hated the man, he was only Donghyuck's only safe place. And so almost automatically Donghyuck's body made the decision for him, using his last energy to run to that one apartment complex, jumping up the stairs and almost crashing into Mark's entrance door. His shoulder hit the strong wood hard and Donghyuck yelped in pain, almost dropping the gun just from the impact. He could hear the zombies' groans on the stairs, they would be here within not even a minute. Maybe it was all worthless? Maybe Donghyuck was just destined to die, he thought while trying to reach up and type the code into the door's keypad.