17

— Chapter Seventeen —

The only time they spoke was when Donghyuck asked Mark if he could shower which the older man agreed to. He let Donghyuck into the bathroom, saying that if he needed anything, he would be waiting in the bedroom. Donghyuck hummed and locked the door behind him, letting out a small sigh of frustration.

The silence was killing him. It was following him under the shower where it didn't vanish when the harsh drops of water penetrated his head or when the shampoo spilled over his hands, making Donghyuck blush in memory.

It didn't go away when he dried himself off, careful with his wound which he knew he would have to ask Mark to bandage it again. Donghyuck couldn't tell if he liked or hated the fact that that was the only reason he would be able to speak with Mark.

He didn't bother putting on a shirt when stepping out of the room. Mark had seen everything of him anyway but still, a faint blush spread over Donghyuck's cheeks when he felt Mark's stare on him.

"Could you bandage me again?" he requested quietly and Mark hummed, immediately getting up from the bed to get the first aid kit.

Again they didn't speak. It was totally silent when Mark gently bandages him. The only sounds were Donghyuck's quiet hisses whenever Mark was pulling the bandages too hard to which Mark softly stroked Donghyuck's side with his free hand as an apology. And that Donghyuck would accept any day because Mark's thumb tracing over his skin, only slow and with barely any pressure was still enough to give him goosebumps which only made Donghyuck blush harder. He avoided Mark's face the whole time, knowing damn well he would get lost in the way Mark's brows would furrow when he was focused. Donghyuck didn't even know from where he knew this, he just did, had learned about Mark's habits so much in those past days, maybe weeks.

When Mark was finished he gave Donghyuck's side a light tap and Donghyuck whispered a thank you. Mark's fingers traced over his side once more, chaste and in a way Donghyuck could feel Mark's longing. If for words or for more touch, the younger couldn't tell. All he knew was that they shouldn't do either and so he stood up and left the room, going back to the couch which had become his place to be.

All was well. Not well, but Donghyuck guessed this was the best he could have hoped for. Even though he absolutely hated the silence that was so loud that it almost hurt his ears. He just wanted to get up hand scream at Mark to talk to him but he held back, resisted the urge and instead laid down on the couch. He wasn't even doing anything, just laying in what felt like forever eternal.

That was until he heard a loud knock on the door. Shit. It couldn't be Mark, obviously because the man was with Donghyuck in the apartment. Donghyuck shivered as he heard another loud knock against the door but it didn't sound like a zombie. Zombies were much less coordinated and much more impatient, groaning in hunger. Behind the entrance door however were no groans.

Mark must have heard something too as he stepped out of the bedroom, his eyes immediately finding Donghyuck. He gave the younger a piercing look but Donghyuck could only gulp as he got up and pointed to the entrance.

"There is someone at the door." he whispered and Mark's eyes widened. He put his finger on his lips, signalling Donghyuck to be quiet. The younger noticed how Mark's whole demeanour had changed. His body was tense, his jaw flexing as he sneaked over to the counter and grabbed the gun. Now that they were both quiet, they could hear the person outside.

It was obvious that it was a human, there was no scratching on the door, no low groaning like a zombie would. That didn't make it any less scary though and Donghyuck stayed behind Mark, the man's arm shielding him as he made his way to the door. Mark looked back at Donghyuck, leaning close to whisper "If I tell you to run, you do it. You hide in my bathroom and only come out if I tell you so, okay?"