18

— Chapter Eighteen —

Akira was entirely different from any human Donghyuck had ever encountered. Just like Mark, she was unreadable. While being sweet with Donghyuck, not as rude as before, Donghyuck could not shake off the feeling that she really did not care for him. As if he was a stupid little bee on a big beautiful flower that she wanted to pick. It was a little weird and Donghyuck didn't quite know what to talk with her about despite his natural extrovert.

Donghyuck had sat down next to her, silent at first but then greeted her and she had just smiled. A pretty smile but scary nonetheless. And then she had asked Donghyuck who he was and Donghyuck had explained to her.

Now the two were chatting, about Donghyuck's college life of course. Akira had made it clear that she would not give away any more information about herself than necessary and Donghyuck could understand. She was an agent after all and at least she was being honest, unlike someone else who just watched the two from the kitchen.

Donghyuck knew that Mark was sure that Donghyuck wouldn't notice his staring but the young man wasn't stupid. Mark's eyes were practically burning holes into his head and Donghyuck was very much aware of that but for some reason could not bring himself to be worried.

"And you know, that's why I was on my way through this part of the town. My friends were quite worried but after Mark got the wifi back on for a little bit, I assured them that I was okay. And now I'm stuck here," Donghyuck finished his story. Akira nodded, strands of her black hair falling from her pony tail.

"Sure, it's natural they would be worried. They don't live in the Neozone, do they?" She asked, referring to Jeno and Jaemin. Donghyuck shook his head, "I don't think so. They should be pretty safe, at least they were when I last talked to them. But that was a while ago as well."

"I'm sure they're fine," Akira assured Donghyuck. He noticed that her korean pronunciation, while really good, wasn't natural. She had a bit of an accent but it wasn't just English. From her name, Donghyuck guessed that the other but was Japanese but he didn't dare to ask.

"Mark told me you would want to leave," he said instead. He could hear Mark clear his throat but didn't pay him any mind. They weren't supposed to talk with one another anyway.

"Yes, I'm sorry if I sounded harsh back there but we have a job that we should be doing, right now more than ever. I can't tell you much more than that but it's urgent and so me and Minhyung, Mark, we have to leave."

"How would you though?" Donghyuck asked her. He made sure his voice wasn't agressive, maybe just a little confused. Akira didn't seem to see him as a threat though, neither the zombies since she replied "Kill the zombies, escape the Neozone, get back to where we were actually supposed to be."

"Just like that? You think you can shoot all the zombies like that?" Donghyuck asked and she let out a soft giggle while nodding her head. "Yes, just like that," she then said and Donghyuck's insides twisted at her laugh. Not because it was ugly but because it was so fucking pretty and he wanted to laugh that beautifully. If he was Mark he would have surely fallen in love with Akira.

Mark however seemed to have different concerns as he sat down next to Donghyuck, leaving close to no space between them. Donghyuck flinched a little at the sudden action, looking at the older man in confusion.

"Mark, what–" he started but then stopped when he remembered that they weren't supposed to be talking with one another.

"Minhyung. I was just talking with him, no need to be overly possessive," Akira noted. Donghyuck raised his eyebrows. Mark wasn't being possessive over her? Or was he? Maybe he had sat down next to Donghyuck to make sure the younger man wasn't flirting with his partner.