Chapter Nine

Vibrant redolence of burning fire wood, and alcohol of choice, leave no confusion that we have arrived.

The muggy night air settles in, melting away our makeup, and frizzing our once smooth curled hair.

Styrofoam cups, ignite the party, filled with fermented liquid lidocaine to numb everyone's distress.

Drinking to each oppressive thought we had, Maggie and I have officially arrived

Abraham staggers towards us, meeting us half way, "my baby, I'm glad you came," he wraps his arm around Maggie.

"after the shit show you dealt with today, a drink is what you need."

Maggie rolls her eyes in response. "It was Audrey's idea that we come.."

Not allowing her to finish, his words slur together "Aweeee-shit, not Auds, becoming a party animal, what has Hamilton turned you into."

"Come see Babe," he pulls Maggie towards him, as he walks towards his friends.

Maggie turns to me, and mouths the words "I'm sorry" as she reaches to her shoulder to grab his hand.

"Hey Audrey," I hear from behind me.

Turning cautiously, I see Walt, as he hands me a cup filled with orange juice and vodka.

"Walt, long time no see!" I mentioned as I grabbed the drink and leaned for a hug.

I've known Walt since grade school, my father and his worked in the same law firm up until they moved.

Walt, tall in height, masculine chiseled jawline, olive complexion, and manicured to perfection. He was your typical Mineral Bluff jockey. 

"Yeah, I'm down for the summer, my family decided to pay me-maw a visit." He explained.

His me-maw attends church with my family, a widow of 5 years, making it by pay check to pay check. She refuses to leave the town her husband has been buried.

We sat around reminiscing old times, laughing about how he would let me win in a game of tag.

"If you ain't drinking, you ain't staying." Big Mike said as he passed the bottle of Smirnoff Vodka.

Hesitant, I allow Walt to be the first to accept the offer.

He shoots it straight from the bottle, I watch as his Adams Apple dances with each sip.

Lowering it from his lips, he hands it to me,
"You don't have too, y'know.

But I wanted too. I wanted to experience the freedom everyone else was.

"I know," I respond, as if it was rehearsed.

The crowd stands around to watch, cheering me on.