An Unexpected letter

A well-dressed man is writing a series of letters on a desk. He seems to be checking now and again upon a pile of files marked "Confidential". He creates six letters and was about to prepare to send them when he heard a few thuds drop out of his drawer. 

Upon seeing a large number of letters on the floor, he began to read who it was addressed to, and make note of the insides of some of those letters, specifically the address of the person to whom the letters were sent. 

The letters seem to be made by two different people, one of them, was paying for the blackmail due recently, quite evident with the neat bundles of greens that lie inside. The other meanwhile seemed to be a mere pen pal. From the looks of it, the other letters are of seemingly random everyday occurrences, and most of them are filled with illustrations of cats.

The mess seems to have mixed the letters. And so, he being one to love tidy spaces, began to try and sort them together. He puts all the normal, cat-illustrated mail in one pile, and the payments in another. As he put them back, he noticed a photograph of a lady, with a full file of evidence attached to it. The lady in the photo seems to be the same lady from the payment letters. With that in mind, he put the file with the rest of his initial six.

He stood, make his way to a cushioned chair, and began writing one more letter, added to his original roster of invites. 

"This shall make things interesting"

He took and spun a wheel with multiple colours, and in each division of the wheel, lies an alias. It probably wasn't the best of methods, but it gets the job done. The wheel continues to spin, and it finally lands on an orange-coloured section.

He began writing what he had written on the other six invites:

Dear Miss Peach,

It would be to your advantage to be present at a dinner date because a certain Mr Boddy will bring to an end a certain, long-standing, confidential and painful financial liability. You will all be addressed by a pseudonym, which you will use throughout the evening. please follow the rules, and meet at the Hill House, off route 41 

Signed,

A Friend

Once finished, the paper was folded, stuffed, and joined the other similar-looking invites. He went out to send those letters out to the now uneven numbered special guests, all of who are in for a twisted surprise the next day for sure. He was about to leave when he notices another letter, this one directed to the pen pal from before. He picked the letter, which had similar looks to the invites on the outside, and went with a huff on the cold raining air.

The letter went through quite a horrendous journey, from high hills and low passes, it was a miracle it even got sent at all

Unfortunately, the letter's luck was used up, for the mailman had dropped his mix of letters. Frantically, he began picking them up, one by one, not caring in what order he took them. He quickly stuffed a letter into the mailbox, just wishing that it was the right one. The mailman moved away from the scene, hoping that nobody saw his frantic mistake.

The next day, a young lady woke up to quite a surprise. 

Her cat has come to her room, and snuggled, right up at her face.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! O-oh... It's just you" she sighed, "socks, you could have been the death of me. Now get off my bed"

"Mauw?"

"No."

"Mrrrm..?"

"Sigh... Fine..." she surrenders and lets the cat sleep on the bed

After going through her usual morning routine, showering, cooking breakfast, and catching up with the radio and some newspapers, she found a very peculiar-looking envelope at her door. As she eats breakfast, she opened the envelope, not hoping for anything in particular. Although, the lack of a return address does raise some suspicion. She began to read the invite.

"... Oooh!"

... A pause...

"A dinner date?" she thought, "wait.... a painful financial liability!?"

Never in her years does she expect such a letter. To her, she hadn't done anything wrong. Sure she had been doodling Socks instead of the commissions, but she didn't think they would be this mad about it. She skipped to the end to possibly identify the source, yet the "friend" signed at the bottom doesn't suggest anyone she knows. Her friends are rather straightforward, this cryptic messaging is new to her. She notes, however,  that Mr Boddy in the letter does ring a slight bell, for she had a pen-pal with someone, who had the alias of Buddy. 

They had gone back and forth, it started with her accidentally sending a friendly letter to the wrong address. Oh, she hoped she had noted the address, it would certainly make her sending the letters easier. Buddy didn't have a real address for her to send it to. Instead, he keeps changing it on each letter, making her unable to pinpoint where he lives.

Buddy was a seemingly rich man. She remembered him writing that he had many guard dogs, and, she pondered, only people THAT rich would own such pets. No "mere commoners" as Buddy puts it sometimes, would need dogs to guard their possessions, at least with that many of them.

In exchange for being able to look into the expensive luxurious life, she would tell and illustrate to him some things that she thought he had rarely seen, as a rich man that is. It started with a joke, she had drawn him a loaf of bread from a local bakery, with its price tag showing. And it slowly evolved to them exchanging about pets. She was quite excited to send him some illustrations of her cat... well... maybe more than some.

Socks have been picked up from the road one night, and never left her side since.

She scoffs. How much of a coincidence is it that this man has a similar name to "Buddy"? probably not much.

She re-reads the invite more thoroughly, taking note of the occasion, time and the place to go, as well as a list of rules also put inside. she was too shocked, excited, and scared by the invitation, that she doesn't realise the letter didn't even have her address.

A/n: 

After finally seeing clue, I've fallen in love with the movie. I wasn't expecting much, mostly 'cus I've only seen a few mystery/comedy movies. It was right after watching Knives out for the first time that I got into the murder-mystery movies. It brought me to Clue and even the Agatha Christie movies. They were so much fun! 

After watching any movie I like, I always try to see what the fandom was up to, since, it seemed like a lot of people grew up with the movie on their VHS tapes. I was kinda disappointed with the lack of things to read and art to look on, (especially since it's such a good movie), so I started making this little fanfic. 

Hope y'all have a great day!

Your author and illustrator,

Kiwi