Assignments

A/N: Sorry yall! I do have online school, and my dad was home today so I could barely get any time. As always, I appreciate the feedback if you have any, and I'll take ideas as well. Please vote, comment and share the story if you liked it, because this way I can  analyse my writing and try to improve it. See ya!

Tara's Perspective (Baby Sister, 12)

Our day continued on normal. As normal as it could get, I suppose, but that was until lunch. Nervously, I managed to finish my brother's French exam with enough quality and effort to satisfy him, although noticeably he raised a few eyebrows at my answers. Smiling gratefully at Ethan, I devoured through my pancakes, relishing each sweet bite before I had to go back to my work. At around 10:30, Author pulled out another folder while I began mathematics and literature. Soaring effortlessly through my maths and english textbooks, I couldn't help but glance curiously at the folder that lay on top of my table. It was an ominous item, hinting at some unknown surprise. After I had finished my workload for the morning, I turned to Author curiously, gesturing towards the folder. "Bubba, what's that for?"

"Didn't you guess?" Author raised his eyebrow inquisitively as he stood up with a stretch. "Your science assignment Tara. The one that's due today?"

"Ohh yeah!" I smiled casually, as I felt my stomach erupt with fighter-plane butterflies. Swallowing down my panic with another hesitant smile, I heaved myself onto my feet. "I forgot to bring that downstairs Author. May I please go grab it?"

"Yes Tara." He nodded distractedly, giving me a chance to bolt up to my room as an emotion like lightning shocked through my body. "You have half an hour to relax baby, then we'll start science."

"Yes Sir!" I bolted into my room nervously, clawing though my stuff until I pulled out the unfinished paper assignment, two pages double sided with questions and graphs galore. With a defeated grumble, I plopped myself onto my chair, realising that I wouldn't be having a break this morning.

Peter's Perspective (Youngest brother, 16)

My work was simpler than Tara's, I knew. She needed all three of my brothers crowded patiently around her while I easily completed mine by lunchtime. Even though a sometimes yearned for something to relinquish my constant boredom, I also appreciated the lack of effort required to finish what I needed to. Slamming shut my Macbook with a overjoyed grin, I stretched my unworked limbs and decided to check on my sister before lunch. I could smell the delicious wafts of Ethan's lasagna from upstairs, and my stomach grumbled from the aftermath of my measly breakfast. Scrolling through my phone mindlessly while strolling by Tara's room, I was met with shock to see her hunched over her study desk, desperately scribbling on something which I readily assumed was some sort of unfinished assignment. "Tara."

"Peter!" Tara's face depicted shock, fear and desperation within the matter of three second, as she jumped to her feet to block the desk. Her pen was still gripped in the palm of her hand, on which I noticed tiny beads of sweat, as well as her forehead. "I was just taking my break. We have lasagna for lunch, if you're hungry."

"Quit the act kiddo," I demanded, shaking my head amusedly. I've known Tara my whole life, and being the most relatable sibling she had, I was usually her only friend. After the years of negotiations, arguments, secrets and lies, I knew my younger sister like the back of my hand. Chuckling quietly as I let my eyes drift away from the phone screen, advice was the only reassurance I could give. "If I was you, I just wouldn't bother with doing the work and take the strike. It's simpler."

"But Peter, I already have two," Tara whimpered, gazing at her snow white carpet furiously. Most of her bedroom was a light lavender, artworks dotted around the walls and books neatly shelved  while toys were packed away without a speck of dust. I admired her discipline and commitment, which only made me pity her more as I watched her almost break down in a river of tears. "I can't take another beating. I'm almost finished, please don't tell!" 

"You know they'll figure it out anyways, Tara. Carter can read you like a book," I preached, guilt building up at the back of my throat, almost choking my next words. Wrapping a gentle hand around her back, I led Tara to her bed, making her sit. Her bed, like everything else she owned, was neatly made and matched her whole room's aesthetic perfectly. "How in the world do you already have two?! It's only lunchtime. Anyways, I have to tell. I don't want a beating either."

"I understand." Tara choked out, blinking away her tears sadly. Her brown hair framed her doe-wide eyes perfectly, only adding to my guilt as I attempted to look anywhere but her. Tara sighed again, then trudged over to her table, picking up the assignment and handing it to me hesitantly. "Can you help me tell him?"

"Of course baby." Squeezing her hand reassuringly, I guided Tara slowly. I knew, through experience, how demanding this was for her. The gentle droplets in her eyes threatened to spill as we edged downstairs carefully, but I remained firm. "I'll give you cuddles afterwards, ok?"