Chapter 2

⬆Emerald⬆ 

"Well, it looks like you're staying with us for a while, kid." Sirius said to the tiny girl. She glanced at him.

"Why?"

"Because your brother and dad are busy and can't take care of you. So Professor Dumbledore said we had to take care of you." He explained.

"Where are we staying?" She asked, hopping off the chair and standing next to Sirius.

"Me, Prongs, Moony and Wormtail's dorm. You're staying with us for three months."

"Okay." She concentrated on her hand and rubbed it wincing every so often.

"Hey don't do that you'll hurt yourself more." Sirius said gently pulling her hands apart.

"Sorry." She answered quickly and put her hands behind her back.

"It's alright kid." The other three had gone ahead to set up a space for a four year old.

They walked in silence. Emerald was wondering why the hell she was in Hogwarts. Sirius was wondering how they were going to take care of a four year old.

They made it to the Gryffindor common room without interruption. Sirius said the password and they entered.

Sirius put a finger to his lips and began to creep through the common room. Emerald looked at him confused before following after him silently.

They made it to their dorm without anyone noticing them. Sirius opened the door and went inside Emerald following.

"Well we have got ourselves in a right mess haven't we. Lost two hundred points, got detention for a month and a child to take care of." James ranted to Sirius. They started yelling at each other blaming the other.

Remus kneeled in front of Emerald who was watching their exchange with slight fear.

"Hey Emerald, do you like stories?" She nodded. "Have you read Tales of Beedle the Bard." She nodded more enthusiastically this time. "What's your favourite story?"

"I don't know." She said shyly.

"How about the Warlock with the Hairy Heart?" She smiled and they sat down on Remus's bed and he took out the book.

"There was once a rich, young and talented warlock. Who observed that his friends grew foolish when they fell in love. Gambling and preening losing their appetites and their dignity. The young warlock resolved to never fall prey to such weakness and employed Dark Arts to ensure his immunity. Unaware of his secrets the warlock's family laughed to see him so aloof and cold. All will change they prophesied when a maid catches his fancy. But the young warlock's fancy remained untouched. Though many a maiden was intrigued by his haughty demeanour and employed her most subtle arts to please him, none succeeded in touching his heart. The warlock gloried in his indifference and the magic that had induced it. The first freshness of youth waned and the warlock's peers began to wed and then to bring forth children. Their hearts must be husks he sneered inwardly as he observed the antics of the young parents around him.

Shrivelled by the demands of this muling offspring and once again he congratulated himself on the wisdom of his early choice. In due course the warlock's aged parents died. Their son did not mourn them on the contrary he considered himself blessed on their demise. Now he reigned alone in their castle. Having transferred his most treasured possession to their deepest dungeon, he gave himself over to a life of ease and plenty, his comfort the only aim of his many servants.