Chapter 20

"Pettigrew, if you hover any longer, I think I'm going to lose my mind." Emerald said, not looking up from her book. 

Peter flushed and moved over to sit down beside her. 

Emerald snapped her book shut and put it down on the table. "So?" 

"So..." 

"Oh honestly Pettigrew, I'm not a patient soul. What do you want?" 

"I don't know." Peter shrugged. 

"Then why are you here?" 

"I don't know." 

"Where's your entourage?" 

"I don't know." 

"Can you give me an answer other than 'I don't know'?" 

Peter's lips began to curve into a grin. "I don't know."  

"Please tell me why you're here so I can move on with my life." 

"Well James is throwing a party. He told me to invite you." 

"Room of Requirement?" Emerald guessed. 

"You know about that?" 

"Everyone knows about that." 

"Well no it's in the abandoned duelling centre down the corridor from the Hufflepuff common room. You know it?" 

"Yeah I know it." 

"So will you be there?" 

"Maybe." 

----

"Tilt your head back." Lucinda said as she blended out the concealer. 

Mandy was meticulously applying eyeliner in the mirror. "You don't suppose Charity will be there?" 

"Her and Pettigrew sometimes talk. Maybe she'll be there." Emerald said as Lucinda began putting on her mascara for her. 

"Ugh maybe I should put on something more slutty then." Mandy groaned. "No matter what I do Charity doesn't pick up on my hints." 

"Maybe just kiss her. Seems pretty hard to miss that." Lucinda said dryly. 

"Solid plan." Emerald added. 

"But then what if Matthew is there? And I kiss Charity. And he thinks he doesn't have a chance with me." Mandy dramatically threw herself on a nearby bed. 

"You're going to mess up your hair, dear." Lucinda said absently, too focused on outlining Emerald's lips with the lipliner. 

Emerald waited until Lucinda had finished her work before speaking. "How about you just, I don't know, pick one and ask that one out." 

"But I want both!" 

"Then have a three way." Emerald said, rolling her eyes. 

"But what if they don't like three ways?" 

"Then pick one." 

"But I can't!" 

"Then you're in a predicament." 

"I know!" 

Lucinda straightened up as she rifled through her bag for lipstick. "How about you forget about them both and pick someone new." 

Mandy gave Lucinda a hard look. "Let's go back to the three way idea." 

"Just tell them." Emerald sighed. "Anything to stop you whining." 

"I am not whining!" 

"Would you look at the time? The party should be well underway." Lucinda said. "Come along. Mandy, fix your hair. Emerald, if you mess up that eyeliner I will never speak to you again."