Chapter 12.

It took Emerald a few days to get over the run in with Walburga. It had brought up a lot of memories that she had pushed away but she eventually was back to her bubbly self. 

"Sirius wake up." She said shaking the sleeping teen. "We're going back to Hogwarts." 

"Shh five more minutes." He murmured burying his face back in his pillow. 

"But the train leaves in twenty minutes." 

"WHAT!" Sirius tumbled out of the bed hitting the ground hard. 

"The train leaves in twenty minutes." She repeated looking down at him from the bed.

"And why didn't anyone wake me sooner?" 

"Because we didn't want to." James said entering and picking Emerald up. "Now get your ass out the door." 

"Ass." Emerald giggled.

"Don't say that." James said sternly. 

"But you said it." 

"And James is very naughty. You don't want to be naughty do you?" Sirius asked innocently and she shook her head. "Then you don't say that word."

"Okay Sirius." She nodded. 

They almost missed the train and Euphemia was practically shouting at them. 

Emerald was giggling on Sirius's shoulders as she watched James trip over a book that had fallen off his trolley. 

"Oh you think that's funny, do you?" James said looking up at her. She nodded still giggling. He rolled his eyes and walked through the wall to platform 9 and 3/4. 

Once they were all on the train they leaned out the window waving wildly to Euphemia and Fleamont. 

"Remus!" Emerald shrieked pushing herself out of Sirius's arms and tackled Remus's legs hugging him. 

"Hello Sunshine. I guess you missed me." She nodded still hugging him. 

She looked up at him. "You look tired Remus." She said. "Are you okay?" 

"I'm fine Sunshine just a bit tired." 

"Okay but then you have to go to sleep. If you're tired you go to sleep." 

"I'll sleep later ok." She looked at him suspiciously. 

"No staying up studying?" 

"No staying up studying." He confirmed and she nodded in approval. 

She climbed out of Remus's arms and pulled open the compartment door looking left and right. "Where's Peter?" 

"He's gone to the bathroom." Remus replied. 

"Okay." She stepped back into the room and heaved the compartment door shut again. 

"Did you have a good holiday?" Remus asked the three of them. 

"Yeah I did." Sirius grinned as Emerald nodded wildly. 

"I met Edward Potter and a boy named Regulus. They were both very nice." Sirius's smile disappeared and Remus glanced at him. 

"How did you meet Edward?" Remus asked. 

"He was a painting on the top floor. And when I was exploring I met him." 

"That's nice." Remus nodded and then the door slid open and Peter entered. 

"Peter!!" Emerald cheered jumping up and hugging him. 

"Hi Emerald." He laughed hugging her back. 

James and Sirius had gone off to see if they could prank any unsuspecting students.

Peter had fallen asleep. Emerald was drawing a picture. And Remus was reading. 

"Remus." Emerald said randomly and Remus looked up. "What do you think a monster is?" 

Remus's eyes widened. What did he think a monster was. He was a monster in his books. "I-I think that there's lots of different kinds of monsters. There's some monsters who hurt people with the intention of hurting them. There are some monsters who hurt people by accident-" 

"But they aren't monsters." She interrupted. "They made a mistake." 

"But they hurt people. Maybe even kill people." 

"But they didn't mean to." 

"Why are you so interested?" He asked softly. 

"Because Antonin read me a story called Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them. And Mr Scamander said that creatures were just misunderstood. But then he read this other book and it said that all of them were monsters that didn't deserve to be alive. But you're really clever so you have to know whose right." 

"I guess it depends on what you believe. If you met a hungry vampire, would you be scared?" 

"Yeah because it would want to drink my blood. But what about when the vampire isn't hungry then why does it deserve to die?" 

"What about a werewolf? If you met a werewolf at the full moon, would you be scared?" 

"Yes but what about the rest of the month. Then they're not monsters. They're just people like you and me." 

"See. It all depends on what you believe. Some people believe that the creature side controls the human side and makes the human side evil. Then there's some people like you and Mr Scamander who believe that they are just misunderstood." 

"But what about you?" 

"I don't know Sunshine." 

"That's okay. Sometimes it's better not to know." She sighed and went back to her drawing. After a few minutes Remus went back to his book. 

James was sitting talking to Lily blissfully unaware of the scheming going on behind him. 

"So Emerald, you grab his glasses and just put them on. It's okay he won't be angry. Just run away and try not to crash into anything." Sirius whispered to the five year old. 

Emerald sidled up to James and smiled innocently. 

"Hey Emerald." James said. 

"Sirius says I have to." She said before grabbing his glasses and sprinting away quicker than James had ever seen her run. Not that he could see now.

Lily was in fits of laughter as James tried to find Emerald without hitting anything. 

Emerald on the other hand had put on James's glasses upside-down and couldn't see a thing. 

"Sirius I can't see!" She shrieked. 

"Sirius I can't see!" James yelled. 

Sirius was laughing his head off in the armchair as James tripped over a first year and Emerald walked into a chair. 

"Sirius Black I am going to kill you!" James shouted. 

"It'll be hard to do that with no glasses." 

"Emerald come here I need my glasses." 

Emerald would've gone to him but like him she couldn't see a thing and didn't think of taking the glasses off. 

"Sirius I'm blind!" She yelled. 

"No I'm blind!" James yelled back. 

The rest of the common room was laughing at the two of them. 

Eventually Tom Wood took pity on the five year old and gently took the glasses off her face. She slowly blinked before a huge grin crossed her face and she hugged the sixth year boy tightly. 

She took the glasses and ran to James, putting them in his hands. "I'm sorry James. Sirius said I had to." 

"Little traitor." Sirius said dramatically.