Chapter 19

Emerald was opening her books when she felt someone sit down beside her. 

"Dolohov." 

Emerald glanced up and saw James giving her a winning grin. "Potter." 

"I saw the thing with the howler this morning." 

"Everyone saw." 

"Er, yeah right." 

"Open your books." Flitwick called. "Page four hundred and fifty six. We will be learning the theory behind Legilimency." 

"Have you ever used legilimency?" James asked as both of them opened their books. 

"It's an art that takes years of hard work to master. I have not yet had the time." 

James nodded silently and skim read the page. "It's creepy right? I mean you can't tell if they're reading your mind unless you know occlumency. Anyone in here could be a legilimens and we wouldn't know." 

"Professor Dumbledore is one." Emerald said shooting him a wry look. "That twinkle in his eye? That's him reading your mind." 

"No way." James said lowering his voice. "Are you serious?" 

"No I'm Emerald." 

"Haha. Now is that true?" 

"Yeah. He's perceptive yes but half of his 'wiseness' is attributed to his ability to read your thoughts." 

"How do you know?" 

"Occlumency." Emerald shrugged. "I know the basics. Enough to tell when someone is invading my mind." 

"And you think he's reading everyone's mind? All the time?" 

"I have a theory that he may be a natural legilimens therefore he cannot help it. But essentially yes." 

"Merlin. Who else is a legilimens in the school?" 

"Flitwick obviously. But he doesn't use it that often. Nicholas Harrison in sixth year. Mildred Babbage in seventh year. Pollyana Nexus the astronomy professor. Afeena Salir the student nurse. Radharani Baj the brightest witch of the century. That's all the ones I've spotted so far."

"Afeena? She's really sweet though." 

"Someone can be sweet and still be a legilimens. Healers often have a mastery in legilimency so they can give aid to their patients even if their patients can't communicate what's wrong." 

"Is Madam Pomfrey one?" 

"No." 

"How do you know all this about people in our school anyway?" 

"It's very beneficial to know the goings on in the school beyond who is sleeping with who." 

"Mr Potter and Miss Dolohov, do you wish to share your conversation with the class?" 

"No Professor." They both muttered. 

"Then hush." 

"Yes Professor." 

---- 

Emerald grinned as Lucinda wrapped an arm around her waist. "Where have you been today?" 

"My dear old brother is betrothed." Lucinda said with a sigh. 

"Oh pray tell? Who is it?" 

"Narcissa Black." 

Emerald remembered the girl. She had been in sixth year when Emerald had began school. Sort of quiet. "Good match I guess. Is he happy with it?" 

"Practically clicking his boots and running up the walls." 

Emerald snorted. "When is it being announced?" 

"Her birthday. So about a month." 

"Am I invited?" Emerald batted her eyelashes dramatically and Lucinda rolled her eyes. 

"No actually, I've found another partner." 

"How dare-" 

"Yes you're coming, don't worry." 

"I wasn't worried at all." 

"How is everything going with that whole Gryffindor situation?" 

"I've decided to just move on. It was a temporary situation that none of us were voluntarily involved in." 

"How mature." 

"Shut up, blondie." 

----