death is better with someone by your side

AN: yesterday i was sentenced to 10 minutes of benchtrio/sbi fluff but since i suck at finding fanfics that arent angst and i had to leave halfway through, im writing a sorta-sad one so my master (ahem, cough, diYu, cough cough) doesnt have my head for it.

you are very most welcome.

heads up, i am not proofreading over this, what the fuck, one thousand seven fucking hundred words, no thank you

TW: Death/mentions of death, funeral (not too detailed)

There was a loud banging on the door, followed by a series of obnoxious rings from the bell. After making sure the brunet was comfortable, the older teenager stood up, quietly letting in whoever was outside. The door clicked closed, but the newcomer was already grasping his friend in a tight hug before it did.

Tubbo smiled, though a tinge of sadness was still present behind it. "Hey Tommy."

A muffled sob was the only answer he received, the blond burrowing his face into the brunet's shoulder. Tubbo hushed him softly, putting a hand on the golden curls, the other on the back of a red-and-white shirt. He didn't look up as another pair of lanky arms wrapped themselves around the pair, simply shifting himself and Tommy into Ranboo's embrace.

A few moments passed, until finally the blond leaned back, wiping furiously at his red eyes with a hand. "I'm sorry." He mumbled.

"It's okay, Tommy." Tubbo said quietly, shuffling over on the mess of blankets and patting the spot next to him. His friend obliged, slumping into the pillows. On his right, Ranboo burrowed himself into a comfortable position for his tall frame, pulling out a few blankets to drape over the three.

"No it's not," Tommy replied, leaning on Tubbo's side. The brunet held out his hand, feeling his friend's latch on tightly.

"Well, sometimes life does that." Ranboo spoke up, still preoccupied trying to lump as much bedding as he could into a nest of sorts around them.

Tommy sniffed, scowling, but Tubbo still felt him squeeze their interlocked hands. "Life is fucking stupid."

"No it isn't." The brunet replied softly.

"Yes it is! This isn't fair. This isn't fucking fair. Why does it have to be you?! Literally anyone else could've died right now. Literally anyone else."

"Tommy... You know this would've happened regardless. I told you not to befriend a bee."

Ranboo huffed dryly from the side, done with his pillows and instead picking at a blanket. "Little too late for that."

"Shut up, Boob Boy. You did it, too." Tommy snapped, but his expression fell a second later. "I just don't get why your bee genetics have to be so fucking terrible."

"All bees die quick." Ranboo stated, not lifting his gaze from the fabric in his hands.

Tommy frowned. "Yeah, but not this quick."

Tubbo chuckled. "Guess you could say I got the short end of the stick. Both figuratively and literally."

"So it's only when you're about to die that you finally accept the fact that you're short?" The blond deadpanned, and Tubbo smiled when he noticed his friend's posture relaxing.

"And maybe with a little luck, you'll do that, too." Ranboo quipped, a grin playing on his lips as he continued fidgeting with the blanket.

Tommy made an offended noise, leaning forwards to look around the brunet sitting between them. "Excuse me, I am not short, fuck you."