VIII | Uncertainties

ONCE UPON A TIME, FANTASY WAS ALL THAT THE MIND CAN CONJURE. It was addictive, it was thrilling, it was how a child's mind once came to be. In it, you can do all and dream for it is the one that keeps you grounded oblivious to the harsh reality that is about to present itself before your very eyes. In a way, that fickle thing was the reality the human mind once held.

You would've believed the words that were uttered out of your guardians mouth if you were a child, hopelessly clinging to that single thread of hope of being the heroine or a princess in a story you once pictured yourself in. But the difference of you being in a child's body to a child who's mind is still feigned with innocence, is that you were able to differentiate and dawn the situation differently of how one should.

The situation of possibly being stuck in this world forever, or the thought of you being used to just changed the tides of a once failed reality. Whatever the mind can take easily it seems, the one that hurts less.

"You aren't making any sense...?"

"And I tend to keep it that way, my lady."

His answer was vague and it was enough to make your head spin. So many questions and yet so little answers. With going around in circles, you knew it was taking you nowhere.

Times like these, you really just wanted to give up and call it a day. Bullshit like this can't exactly be comprehended by the fried thing you call a braincell.

In short, you're tired and you don't want to think. You have too many stuff to think about besides the pilling requirements you have for your school and procrastinating over reading this book.

Aslan only stared at you with an eyebrow raised, his eyes shimmering with it's glint of amusement as he stared at your face. You've grown quiet, he noted. You did need to process the bomb that has been dropped onto your hands.

Truth to be told, he didn't want this to happen either. A kid no older that 18 be caught in the crossfire of a family feud, the tyranny that will soon befall this empire, the heartbreak that will swallow you whole. But then again, it was inevitable.

So as long as he has arrived early, he can guide you. Teach you. Give you subtle hints as to what is to come.

Not now though, not when you have only arrived.

"Your grace, I suggest you finish your food firsthand or else it will get spoiled."

You grumbled underneath your breath, suddenly having no appetite to eat your meal.

"The Grand Duke has requested your presence and asked me to meet you after your meal."

The continuous poking you did on the battered steak stopped abruptly, taking in the words from the butler for a few seconds before letting a loud groan cradling your head in your hands.

"Can these problems wait for 5 minutes? By the time this is over I'm sure I'm going to be in need to touch grass."

"We can go to the gardens if you wish—"

"I didn't mean literally, Aslan."

The office was large, enough to make you think if this was five rooms combined to one. From shelves that reached to the ceiling and a stairway that leads to the second floor, along with the towering marbled statues that filled the corners and the intricate designs of gold — it was more of a library than an office. You wondered if the libraries in the estate have that grand flare as this one.

Just past the towering shelves was a door that leads to the office where the man of the house resided in, compared to the personal library he had the room back the room here was filled with colors of mahogany, burgundy; all dark compared to the bright room. But it still had the colors of the family crest, white, blue, gold — despite the dark colors you can still see it stick out like a sore thumb.

Finally, your gaze drifted to the man in front of the large paned window, writing out his paperwork with such vigor. He didn't seem to stop until Aslan closed the door behind you and went to stay situated in the side of the room, staying silent unless asked.

Kalist's eyes flickered up to you before taking a long last look on the papers in front of him before placing it down, placing his hands in front of him as he stared you down. It was enough to make a shiver go up your spine as you shifted from one foot to another.

Finally minding your position, you reluctantly went to a curtsy — remembering the lessons that a certain governess has come to teach you.

"Glory of the Sun's Empire be upon the Grand Duke, you have asked for my presence?" you managed to let out despite your trembling figure under his gaze.

Kalist continue to stare at you before taking a quick glance at the butler, a ghost smirk curling on his lips before heaving out a sigh.

The silence was getting a bit unsettling, but thankfully Kalist knew how to break it.

"The Imperial family has requested our audience by the end of the week, it is a matter of a friendly reunion so you don't need to fret about them asking you that it beyond your studies," he spoke, curt and straight to the point, "And the reason I've called you here is because of your new butler whom I'm sure you've grown acquainted too."

Your head snapped up at his last statement before sending a panicked look at Aslan, who only stood there unfazed.

"He is an old acquaintance of mine so I am entrusting your safety and well-being in his hands as well as your education," he picked up an envelope and handed it to Aslan who took it without hesitation.

"I expect you to be in your best behaviour at the time we're at the palace, do I make myself clear?"

You finally made eye contact with the Duke, seeing how his eyes are stern and had that underlying emotion yet to be shown but seeing his display just now, you know he is a tough nut to crack.

It is said that the eyes are the window to the soul.

"Yes, Your Majesty."

With a hum of approval, you — and Aslan, are now being sent away to your quarters to rest.

Until he called out your name once again.

"Yes, Your Majesty?"

There it was again, the emotion waiting to be unleashed just from his eyes alone.

Kalist's eyes narrowed before he shook his head and finally sent you on your way.

"Nothing."

"i hope whatever it is that you believe
it bigger than your struggles.
i hope even in this season of uncertainty, you are able to see how far you have come from where you began."

— Dhiman