Part 12

Chapter 12

The sunlight shone through my window blinding me awake. “I’m up, gosh…” I mumbled as I put my hand up to block the warm rays. What was today? Oh yeah it was Sunday! I was going to see Branson after church this afternoon. Had I told Mom and Dad about my plans? I couldn’t think this early; I stumbled out of bed, showered, and put on a pair of black stretchy pants, and a light pink sparkly sweater dress that hung to my knees. I added a small heart shaped necklace and curled my hair into soft curls. I applied my makeup carefully and then looked at myself. I looked pretty good. I headed downstairs, figuring that I should drive today, since I was meeting Branson after church, and Mom and Dad were going somewhere else. My mom was putting dishes away when I descended from the stairs.

“Hi, sweetie, you look really nice. Me and your dad are going to the Whitmens after church if you’d like to join us.” She was hinting at something. They wanted me to get to know my future in-laws, this was not going to end well.

“I’ve got plans today, Mom, but thanks anyways,” I said and headed toward the fridge, pulling out the orange juice and pouring myself a glass.

“Your father and I really wanted you to be there today, Zoe, we are going to talk about the courting arrangements for you two.” She poured herself a cup of coffee.

I turned around with what I hoped wasn’t a sneer.

“Did Dad tell you that I haven’t even said yes to this courtship? He’s shoving it in my face! I haven’t heard God speak to my heart about Jacob,” I said the words harsher than I meant to. My mom flinched a little bit, her mouth going into a grim line.

“Your father told me you were okay with it. You went out with Jacob Friday night.”

“Yes. Because Dad set it up. Mom, I have to pray more about this…I don’t want to make a mistake.”

“Are you doubting your father, then?” Her voice came out critical and sharp. She slammed a notebook down on the counter and started furiously scribbling something down. What the heck.

“No…I just don’t have peace about it all yet. I need time. Can’t you two understand that?” I tried to get her to look at my face, but she ignored me.

“You are running out of time, Zoe Grace. Jacob is the perfect match for you.” She poured creamer in her coffee and splashed some on the counter.

“I gotta get going; I’ll talk to you later.” I couldn’t deal with this right now. I headed out the door, my orange juice left untouched. I was so furious that I could barely shove my key in the lock of my car. Finally I managed to and let out a long, slow breath. It was going to be okay. I was not going to the Whitmens today. No way. I was going to see Branson. I’d already canceled once with him for Jacob, I was not doing it again. I climbed into my car and threw my purse on the seat, starting up the engine I headed toward the church. I would just go into the private prayer room and have a little bit of a talk with God.

When I got to church, Jacob was already there. I moaned and headed toward one of the prayer rooms the intercessors used all the time. He spotted me and waved, but I kept walking. Was that rude? I really didn’t care right now. I walked right into the prayer room, and he followed me in.

“I just wanted to tell you I really enjoyed our date Friday night. I’m excited to hang out with you today after church.” He closed the door as I set my purse down on a chair.

“Jacob, I came in here to pray for awhile. Do you mind?” I said and tried to keep the anger out of my voice. It wasn’t working very well, and I was practically biting my cheek to keep from screaming at him.