Part 20

Chapter 20

I went to work the next day in a daze. I was not going to let Branson go.

Zoe, My ways are higher than your ways, and My thoughts are higher than your thoughts. I let the Holy Spirit’s words soothe my mind. I had to figure out where I was going to live; I couldn’t live under a rock. I would ask Mia, but she had a houseful already, and there were a couple other singles in our church, but would they want to face the wrath of my dad for taking me in? Branson was stopping by after I was done with work, so the hours dragged by so, so slow. Finally when ten o’clock hit, I closed up and walked outside. He was waiting for me and leaning up against his car, looking like he was struggling with something.

“Hi,” he said, and I could tell that he was beating himself up. “Listen, Zoe, I’m really sorry about punching that guy. I just lost control. I’m so sorry I caused trouble for you with your parents.” He wrung his hands together, a lot of stress on his face.

“There’s always been trouble, Branson, please, don’t worry about it. I have to ask you though. Do you know anyone who’d take a roommate? My parents said if I didn’t dump you then they were kicking me out of their house.” Saying it out loud made it feel even scarier than it was. I wrapped my arms around myself. Branson pulled me into his embrace and tucked my head against his shoulder.

“I’m sorry…” His hand pressed up against my back, and the warmth of his embrace melted me. It was going to be okay. God was going to take care of me—he was the one who told me to do this, so He would take care of me no matter what happened. Branson brushed my hair behind my ear and pulled me into a kiss. Jumping beans exploded in my stomach as he looked down into my eyes, a teasing smile dancing on his lips.

“I do know someone. You remember Alison?” He held me back to look into my face.

I nodded. She’d been the one who’d changed Bree.

“She just lost a roommate and asked me if I knew anyone who needed a place to stay. It’s two fifty a month. Is that okay?”

That was better than I’d expected. I could still save money up for a rainy day.

“That would be amazing. I’ll pack up my room and be ready to move in a couple weeks. She’s okay with that right?”

“Yeah, she needs someone as quick as possible.” Branson pulled me into another hug and held the back of my head.

“Zoe, I can’t believe you’re doing all this for me. I don’t know what to say.”

“Just tell me I’m not insane. I’m doing the right thing right?” I said, and I really did feel hesitant at times. I was going against everything I’d been raised on. My dad had pounded the Word of God into my head since I could understand. I was breaking every law in the book. Or was I? I was confused about it all.

“If you want to you can come over for a little while. I got Bree, but the twins are at their mom’s house.”

“Yeah, I’d like that.”

Branson lived in a decent sized home, with a fenced in yard, and flowers decorating the sidewalk. Cute. Very cute. A lady with graying hair met us at the door.

“She’s fast asleep, Branson, goodnight.” She kissed Branson’s cheek and headed toward the door.

“Thanks, Sarah, I really appreciate it,” Branson said. I watched the lady smile and head out the door. The house was spotless.

“Sarah likes to clean,” he said as he nodded toward the sparkling home.

“Do you want anything? Coffee? Water? Pop?” he asked as he headed toward the kitchen. I watched him walk away with a smile on my face. He was really attractive. Oh my goodness, I couldn’t get over it! I actually forgot what he asked until he looked at me with amusement.