Part 15

Chapter 15

I stocked the shelves the next day trying not to think about Jacob meeting me after work. I got out at ten, so I had no idea why he wanted to hang out that late. I was going to be a zombie, and I didn’t know how I was going to ignore Jacob’s forward gestures. Nine o’clock rolled around, but this time I didn’t want that hour to slip by. I wanted to just work and not think about the crap in my life, I felt so overwhelmed with it. The little bell above the door jingled, and I heard someone walk in. I kept stocking the shelf until the box was empty, then headed toward the counter to see who had walked in. I nearly ran smack into Branson.

“Hi, Zoe!” he said with a laugh catching me in his arms. He had Bree strapped to his back.

“Hi, Branson,” I said a little disheartened. I had managed to numb my mind to all that was going on.

“You okay?” he said noticing my sour expression. Bree was grabbing at the back of his hair and shaking a little rabbit that was attached to her hand.

“No,” I said not really wanting to beat around the bush about everything.

“I’m sorry, Branson, I can’t hang out with you.”

No! Zoe, no! I heard God say so loud that I jumped.

“Why?” he asked. He had such nice arms. My gosh, I was so horrible.

“I’m courting a guy,” I said. Zoe, Branson…is…yours. I had to ignore that voice. How could it be God? My dad and pastor Mike had confirmed my courtship with Jacob.

“Oh, you mean like dating him?” he asked warily. I nodded.

“Kind of, though courting is…more permanent. I’m going to marry him one day.” I inwardly winced at the thought of Jacob being my husband. Branson’s face crumpled slightly, then he recovered.

“Oh,” he said. “Zoe, are you sure that’s God?” he asked, and I knew he was thinking about our conversation the other day.

“No. I haven’t heard God say he was my husband, but my dad and another pastor heard the Lord. My dad told me the story in the Old Testament how Korah and some people went against their leadership, and God opened up the earth and swallowed them. I really don’t want God to hate on me for disobeying them.” I shuddered and wrapped my arms around myself. Why was I telling him this? He was going to think I was nuts.

“Zoe, God’s not mad at you. He…put all His wrath on Jesus at the cross.” Branson reached out and touched my arm.

“Branson, you don’t get it. My dad is a pastor. He knows the Bible better than anyone I know. If he heard God say Jacob was my husband then he is. I just can’t see it yet.” I frowned, sounding like I was trying to convince myself of this madness, tears pricking my eyes.

“You don’t even like this guy do you,” Branson said in a matter-of-fact tone.

“No.” I turned from him, feeling angry. “The milk is over there.” I pointed toward the aisle even though I knew he knew where it was now.

“Zoe,” he said and he walked toward me. He grabbed my hand, and I stiffened thinking about Jacob’s bold move.

“It doesn’t feel right.” He shifted Bree on his back.

“Why? Because you want to add me to your exes list? You want to make some nasty movie with me?” I spat at him, and I saw that my words hurt him. I had to get this guy to hate me, or I feared I’d never be able to handle courting Jacob.

“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. I’m not the same person, Zoe. I don’t do that anymore.” I could see that he was still battling with the words I’d so ruthlessly thrown at him. I was cruel. Bree started crying, and he pulled her out of her carrier, cuddling the little girl to his chest and soothing her. I watched him and wanted to sob—his love for his kids was so strong.