Part 16

Chapter 16

Dad called Jacob for me the next day and talked to him for over an hour. I had no idea what they were saying, but my dad didn’t sound very happy. He probably was telling him that I was going to go to Hell. Dad wanted to meet Branson immediately, and I was panicking. I hadn’t even told Branson that I felt like he was the one! He was going to run for the hills once he found out what I’d said. That was so stupid of me.

I didn’t work till one, so I figured I had better call Branson and tell him my lovely news. I picked up my phone and dialed his number, and it rang twice before he answered.

“Hello?” He sounded horrible.

“Branson? This is Zoe.” I sat down on my bed and began to play with the corner of the bedspread.

“Hi, Zoe, what’s up?” His voice was strained.

“Are you okay?” I asked feeling concerned for him.

“I’m okay, just dealing. Why did you call?”

“Can I meet you at the café?” I looked over at my alarm clock.

“Oh, sure. What time?”

“Now?” I heard shuffling on the phone, and a baby crying.

“Now? I have Bree, but sure. I’ll get her ready to go. See you there soon.”

“Okay. See ya,” I said and hit end on my phone. This was it, this was going to be the end. Once I told Branson what I’d told my parents, he would surely shut me down. He sounded so bad, and I wondered what was wrong with him. I got ready to go and headed toward the café where we’d first talked. The place only had a few cars in the parking lot for which I was thankful. I didn’t see Branson’s car yet, so I went inside and found a table, grabbing a highchair for Bree and calmly waited. What was I going to say to him? Hi, Branson, you are my husband okay? The door opened, and he walked in carrying Bree in his arms. He waved to me and put her in the highchair, looking like he’d had a rough night.

“You okay?” I asked as he sat down across from me.

“Umm...” He looked at Bree and gave her a few toys that he had in his pocket, the baby smiled in contentment and played.

“I’m going to grab a coffee, you want one?” he asked. I scanned his expression, wishing I could know what he was thinking right now. Something was definitely wrong. I had been a jerk to him and rubbed his past in his face though.

“Sure. I’ll take a mocha,” I said as he walked toward the counter. He ordered our coffees and then just stood waiting for them. I looked at Bree and saw a small bruise near her eye. Weird. Baby’s bumped their heads all the time, so it wasn’t unusual, but I soon noticed a few more bruises on her and gulped. What was going on? She sniffled as she bumped her little arm against the table, lip quivering.

“Oh, Bree Bree, it’s okay. Here ya go.” I pulled out my cell phone and let her play with the glowing buttons; she loved that. Branson soon returned with our coffees and set them down on the table. Bree reached for Branson’s mug and he smiled sadly, brushing her wild curls from her cheek. She soon picked my phone back up and started punching at the screen again.

“You wanted to tell me something?” Branson asked as he distracted himself with his coffee, adding sugar and cream. I thought he liked it black? I ignored the way his hand trembled as he did it. Was he okay?

“Yeah, I did, but are you okay? You seem really shaken up.” I gripped my coffee but didn’t drink any. He looked away from me his chest rising and falling, and I could feel his sadness.